Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Well sht! I just cruised ebay. The 4.2 crank is going for $250 after being machined......I wonder how I can change that 3.8 on the sc hat to 4.2?

Dave, it's easy my boy. Get a huge chunk of CA$H. Call Chinee Foundry. Have 100 made that say 4.2. Pay to have them shipped to OK. Put one on your car and throw the other 99 in a landfill so you have the ONLY ONE!

It ain't nothing but about some CA$H. I think you could get those Fairmonts and do something really odd and never thought of before. Like put a 250 straight six with an Aussie crossflow head in it. No one would ever think it woudl be attempted.

Or something like that. :thinking:

Reactions: 3 users
Sooooo.....I drive my truck to work today and someone points out something is leaking. Crap.

I need to replace the water pump. Not real challenging or anything, just non Mustang time. I have a back up vehicle I can drive, so, since that red car isn’t in my garage anymore I’ll change it out Saturday or Sunday.

This all said just to point out a one week delay on getting rid of an engine and picking up a new one.

Dave, it's easy my boy. Get a huge chunk of CA$H. Call Chinee Foundry. Have 100 made that say 4.2. Pay to have them shipped to OK. Put one on your car and throw the other 99 in a landfill so you have the ONLY ONE!

It ain't nothing but about some CA$H. I think you could get those Fairmonts and do something really odd and never thought of before. Like put a 250 straight six with an Aussie crossflow head in it. No one would ever think it woudl be attempted.

Ingenious Drew:nice:

--or--

Cover the car in fidget spinners. :chin

Reactions: 1 user
I did a little bit today. Again, lack of tools kept me from Nirvana.

I got pretty much everything off I want to before pulling the engine except the exhaust.
IMG_3558.JPG

So i thought i'd go ahead and drop,the exhaust system completely. This is where the lack of proper tools comes in to play. I need a portable Sawsall. I'll dig one up from a friend tomorrow at work.
IMG_3557.JPG

I was going to drop the bigass catalytic converter to have it out of the way. Nope, sawsall needed here as well. The thermactor tube has grown roots and needs to be cut off.

So, in theory, if I have the proper tools, the engine is coming out saturday.

I'm going back to the yard tomorrow after work to finish the smalls on the supercoupe engine. I really want to bring the blower home with me.

Sunday I have to change the water pump on my truck. This shouldn't take real long, maybe I'll have time to go dance around inside my empty engine bay!:banana:

Reactions: 3 users
Sooooooo, The yard owner's wife had to have some emergency surgery on friday....blah, blah, blah......So he couldn't be at the yard yesterday evening. I texted him that i could meet him at the yard after he dropped his wife at the hospital, he didn't reply. I guess his phone battery must have died.:scratch:

Well, today is college football day so I'm adapting my plans to changing out my water pump today. This works out since i'll need to toss the exhaust parts in the bed to throw in the metal bin at work monday.

My buddy loaned me his portable sawsall, I've got the batteries charged, I just need to go get a new blade today. Tomorrow the exhaust system will be removed from Scuby. I'll unbolt the transmission from the old boy and loosen the motor mounts and get ready to hook up the puller and yank the engine out. If I can finagle the room, I'll go ahead and pull it tomorrow as well.

For now, I need to get off my dead ass and go get some fresh rtv to get ready to swap water pumps.

New pictures tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
Sooooooo, The yard owner's wife had to have some emergency surgery on friday....blah, blah, blah......So he couldn't be at the yard yesterday evening. I texted him that i could meet him at the yard after he dropped his wife at the hospital, he didn't reply. I guess his phone battery must have died.:scratch:

Well, today is college football day so I'm adapting my plans to changing out my water pump today. This works out since i'll need to toss the exhaust parts in the bed to throw in the metal bin at work monday.

My buddy loaned me his portable sawsall, I've got the batteries charged, I just need to go get a new blade today. Tomorrow the exhaust system will be removed from Scuby. I'll unbolt the transmission from the old boy and loosen the motor mounts and get ready to hook up the puller and yank the engine out. If I can finagle the room, I'll go ahead and pull it tomorrow as well.

For now, I need to get off my dead ass and go get some fresh rtv to get ready to swap water pumps.

New pictures tomorrow.
What engine is in your truck? The 4.7's use the O-ring type water pump gasket I think .
Awesome progress on Scroby buddy. Looking forward to the engine removal and what ever else you find in there :)

What engine is in your truck? The 4.7's use the O-ring type water pump gasket I think .
Awesome progress on Scroby buddy. Looking forward to the engine removal and what ever else you find in there :)
It’s got the 5.9.

I went to the store to get a new tube of rtv and figured out I forgot the distilled water, so I went back and got it. Got home and remembered I needed the reciprocating saw blades, went back and got that....then I remembered my oil pan was under Scuby, went and got a new one...:nonono:

Sometimes a list is a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.