Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, pure speculative question here.

Will the Getrag 6 speed transmission fit in a fox body?

Don't take much from this, just waiting to spend money and was snooping through ebay.

Anything that was once behind a BMW will be stupid expensive to get parts for...pressure plate,...clutch...t/o bearing, and whatever you'd have to do to adapt the tail shaft yoke....

• Sponsors (?)

Easy Drew, you might take notice of the drop cloth underneath.

Besides, it was 22 outside with a 15mph wind while he was doing this. It would take awhile for the glue to dry at that temp.

Look at all that :poo: on the drop cloth. Like he's not going to drop that and track it into the carpet. They're your nutz.

:doh:
Ok, pure speculative question here.

Will the Getrag 6 speed transmission fit in a fox body?

Don't take much from this, just waiting to spend money and was snooping through ebay.

I think you're better off looking at F body or Cobra T56. You can find them cheaper than a TKO usually. Might take more work and more parts, but if you're piecing it together...

Plus a double OD would let you jump up to a 4.10 gear and still cruise like a Caddy.

Anything that was once behind a BMW will be stupid expensive to get parts for...pressure plate,...clutch...t/o bearing, and whatever you'd have to do to adapt the tail shaft yoke....
i think he's thinking mt-82 like behind the coyotes/s197's

remote mount shifter, probably possible but easier options, and if youre thinking what i think youre thinking you can get bells for t5/tko/t56. those chinese transmissions are kinda shtty imo anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
i think he's thinking mt-82 like behind the coyotes/s197's

remote mount shifter, probably possible but easier options, and if youre thinking what i think youre thinking you can get bells for t5/tko/t56. those chinese transmissions are kinda shtty imo anyway.
The mt-82 in particular, yes.

GM Holden and GM used the "4 speed with two over drives" behind the LS engines. The GM supplied 5 or 6 speed Getrags are very cheap, but a BMW one isn't.

Down here, the LS1 Holden 5. 7 liter Getrag 6 speed is an easy swap to the GM 3800 Supercharged engine in any Commodore. Mal Rose in Aussie does a lot of those conversions. Since the V8 and V6 use the BOP or SBChevy bolt pattern, just an aftermarket Ford SBF to SBChev adaptor gets you into a Getrag 6 speed.

I remember in RoadKill, Freiberger cold bought a Silverado C1500 truck to get a 5 speed T5 for the RatSun 24Ounce after it blew a T5. Nadda, the Silverado's gearbox was a Getrag.

In the 70's , GM did a deal with Getrag, becasue it was looking at rolling out a 4 wheel drive 5 speed version of the planned 4WD GM180 3 speed Hydramatic auto FF Senator, a cold war car for West Germans to intecept East German's.

The Vauxhall VX 490, Volvo 244/264 and Commodore/Senator and the Manta 400 had the Getrag gearbox, as well as the Group A Mustangs. First use was in BMW's Superlight 3.0 CSL, as a 4 speed, but it soon became the 5 speed. The 260/262 is practically indestructable. The 6 speed dates from the Lister Jaguar V12 era, and was 265 Getrag based.

GM went to the ZF 6 speed for the 186 mph Corvette ZR1, Lotus Charlton Turbo, and Group A VN Commodore, but Getrag still suplied the Opel divisions gearboxes.

:O_o: the mt82 is one of the bigger complaints with the s550? (Although from what I've read, is better with different clutch, different this, different that.....)
I haven't had much issue with mine, but I'm easy on my car most of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
im not a big fan of the one in my '12, maybe its more to do with the clutch and shifter, but i liked the t5 in the fox better. the mt just doesnt like to shift clean at higher rpms for me, and forget about any kind of powershift.

im not a big fan of the one in my '12, maybe its more to do with the clutch and shifter, but i liked the t5 in the fox better. the mt just doesnt like to shift clean at higher rpms for me, and forget about any kind of powershift.

That's probably an intentional feature to keep warranty claims down!! Nothing shifts like a T5 but they are pretty fragile. The complaints I hear about the TKO is if you have had a T5 you won't like the shifting. It seems more like if you have any other tranny after the T5 you won't like the shifting.

the tko's problem is the shift rail setup and the stock syncros. the t5 has a simple single rail that doesnt clunk around, and has steel friction-lined cones that the tko simply needs. no idea how the mt82 does it (never had one apart) but the remote shifter and all the linkage for it aint helping things, and the 2nd and 3rd synchros (especially 3rd at least to me) arent all that great and tend to grind, even when youre not pushing it.

and the 2nd and 3rd synchros (especially 3rd at least to me) arent all that great and tend to grind, even when youre not pushing it.

:stupid: I've noticed this in my car as well, just with normal driving.

I will say though, after I got my 17, it made my (stock) fox with the t5 no fun to drive. The fox had an MGW shifter, but even with that if I got out of the s550 and into the fox, the fox felt like I was driving a dump truck. (Of course, the 200hp difference was probably most of that..)

:stupid: I've noticed this in my car as well, just with normal driving.

I will say though, after I got my 17, it made my (stock) fox with the t5 no fun to drive. The fox had an MGW shifter, but even with that if I got out of the s550 and into the fox, the fox felt like I was driving a dump truck. (Of course, the 200hp difference was probably most of that..)

@karthief can tell you if this is true or not.

Reactions: 1 users
rDKYI.jpg

Dump truck....

The complaints I hear about the TKO is if you have had a T5 you won't like the shifting. It seems more like if you have any other tranny after the T5 you won't like the shifting.

I've heard that enough that it makes me consider a Astro gearset on my T5 vs getting a TKO. My 1000 mile, everything new T-5 that I rebuilt myself shifts like absolute butter with an MGW shifter. It blew my T-3650 away that I had in my 03GT.

I haven't driven an MT82...yet, but I see they do have T-5 adapters for a coyote swap

Status
Not open for further replies.