Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gonna leave this here......
D1837A9D-1254-448A-BC44-45A366A014D5.jpeg

:D

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm sure you know this but with the torque arm a panhard bar is not an option. With the stock 4 link a panhard bar adds more F'd uppedness to the crap going on back there. I think there's a write up (maybe on MM site) explaining it with pretty pictures. If I had the money, for sure I would go with an HD torque arm on my 85. I might start off with the poor man 3 link if I want to try autocross.

I'm sure you know this but with the torque arm a panhard bar is not an option. With the stock 4 link a panhard bar adds more F'd uppedness to the crap going on back there. I think there's a write up (maybe on MM site) explaining it with pretty pictures. If I had the money, for sure I would go with an HD torque arm on my 85. I might start off with the poor man 3 link if I want to try autocross.

Uhhh,..gotta disagree with you Drew....a Torque Arm requires a Panhard bar (or a Watts link) to keep the rear located..A 3 link negates the need for a torque arm...

Reactions: 1 users
Oooh Drew
D60C335F-262E-4180-B1FE-688C1B010B57.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
I meant the PB or watts link is NOT optional. Most of the time my mind is thinking faster than I can type and I learned how to type 34 years ago!

MM Website has a write up on the torque arm about how much spring rate the stock 4 links adds because it binds up and how poly or solid bushings make it much worse.

All the cool kids have an IRS... ;)

Cmon, don't you know Trump is going to abolish the IRS!?

I meant the PB or watts link is NOT optional. Most of the time my mind is thinking faster than I can type and I learned how to type 34 years ago!

MM Website has a write up on the torque arm about how much spring rate the stock 4 links adds because it binds up and how poly or solid bushings make it much worse.

I figured you knew what was correct there Drew, I’ve just been wanting to use that picture, so, thank you:nice::zombie:

He's going to make the IRS great again by getting rid of it! :thinking::flag::banana:

Things should happen soon for the blue car. I hate to have excuses, but things have been nuts lately.

My brother made it though chemo and radiation therapy just so he could get a horrible infection that the doctors can't operate on because the infection is too close to the tumor that is wrapped around his aorta. The infection is finally getting better with the antibiotics since his immune system is gone at the moment.

We won't know more about the cancer until the end of february because the tumor is swollen from the radiation right now. It is a little better, he's able to sip little bits of water. Apparently the feeding tube thing he had to get isn't particularly fun.

Then there's my wife who said she was leaving me, but no matter what I do or say, she seems to be staying.

Then work went nuts when the manager hired a new shop foreman. He tried to change the way jobs were handed out, which royally screwed me. I asked the manager if this is what he really wants to do. He told the new foreman that he would get fired if he screwed with me anymore. Think this problem is solved. In a benefit, I put my name out that I might be looking for a new job. I got three outstanding offers that may lead to at least a raise!:nice:

I paid off the last of the stupid debt that someone else, not me, had run up. This is the big benefit. Shortly here I should be ordering things like the floor pan, torque boxes, mm front end, etc...

I hate waiting. I just want you to know this isn't a dead thread now. It's just sleeping.

I keep trying to come up with a snappy name for the this car like Doby, or Gila Monster. Nothing seems to fit. Maybe it's because I'm not actually touching it. I need to be careful or my car might join the #meetoo's!:p

Reactions: 3 users
Glad to here your brother is still with you.

I learned in middle school....if you smother them with kisses, sweet notes, and carry their books for them....they'll leave. In high school i learmed that if you treat'em like you dont like them they'll chase you. Women are nuts !!! In my marriage i try to stay somewhere in the middle of the two. I keep my wife confused....and happy.

Please get back to the blue car.... Seems like you lost all the steam when the dog ate the steering wheel emblem. Its not the emblem that makes the car....its you, Dave !!!

Now go pour all your sorrow into some car parts like the rest of us. Loose your mind staring at some car stuff. Bust a couple knuckles and drip some blood on the floor. Make the world a brighter better place by polishing something.

When you don't like the picture then change it. Beat it with a hammer and straighten it out. Smooth it over and now one will ever know...

Um....what was i saying......pull it together and get back to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Coming from the guy that wants to treat this place more like a garage hang out than a web forum...

Life.....

It's always a sobering reality.

You think if only I had a better job, while at the same time somebody is hoping just to get a job.

You sit in your living room Btching that your cold.....While others sleep under a bridge.
But there's no thermostat under the bridge.

You whine about the cold that's kicking your ass,......while the guy down the street is told he has cancer..

You think your life sucks, and you come across a funeral procession......

Because you and I have been face to face, I know you better than anybody here (I think) Dave. Not that I know you.

I just want to shine this light Dave...

You got this... The good guys DO finish first...

The course just seems like it has more bumps in it than the other guy's........He just has different bumps.

Reactions: 6 users
Well said @CarMichael Angelo!!

Life is short. As I approach and will soon pass half a century, I am learning this way too quickly. And since CMA mentioned the homeless, I will say this. A lot of us (or me) don't like giving them money because we (or me) think they will buy drugs or alcohol. So, here's what I've been doing. I buy $5 or $10 McDonald's cards. I give them out. If you're really hungry $5 or $10 goes a long way at MD. If you're not really hungry, you can't get a lot of crack for $5.

I think most of us since we have some kind of car project, are pretty fortunate. Like Dory said, just keep swimming. Sometimes it is upstream, but eventually you get there.

Glad to hear your brother is hanging in there, Dave.

I have had the pleasure of a feeding tube. Each time you simply swallow the spit in your mouth, your throat muscles rub that tube. Think about how many times you do that in a day. I only had mine 6 days, and my throat was so raw I was nearly in tears. You got ice chunks to help...

The other thing about feeding tubes, and/or GI suction tubes is that you dont actually eat or drink anything. By day 6 I had my wife smuggle me a morsel of peanut butter on a cracker and it was like I was an addict given crack! I hadnt tasted ANYTHING for 6 days, and it was so good!

Anyway, cancer treatment aside (no experience there) I totally feel for your brother as those little things turn into misery when they go long enough. And thats not even factoring in what you are really there for.

Also, your work clearly speaks for itself, and I am sure your manager knows that. Glad you stood up for yourself, and hopefully that all smooths out, raise or not.

As far as the ball and chain, Im not even gonna go there. Your guess is as good as mine!

Cant wait for updates once you are able to start up working on the car again!

Not that it’s important, but the feeding tube is the kind where the doctors surgically put a tube through the outside of his abdomen directly into his stomach. The tumor has essentially closed his esophagus off.

But thanks for the kind words though.

I’m not completely despondent or anything like that at the moment, life keeps going on. It’s kind of like the tether you put on your dog with 35 foot of chain in the back yard. You can get running in a straight line pretty hard and then “YANK”. You remember there’s something else there.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m not completely despondent or anything like that at the moment, life keeps going on. It’s kind of like the tether you put on your dog with 35 foot of chain in the back yard. You can get running in a straight line pretty hard and then “YANK”. You remember there’s something else there.

Better than when I was 8 or 9 and we visited my uncle who had a huge German Shepherd. He was on a leash clipped to a clothesline type thing so he could run from the house to the ditch way out back...probably 100 150 yards. My older brother thought it would be funny to unclip him from the clothesline and clip his lead to my belt loop and then throw his ball. Let's just say he got beaten for every bump bruise and cut I had! Yeah, he threw it ACROSS the drive way!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.