Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I got the diagonal welded up and dressed.
IMG_0142.JPG

Then welded onto the cs.
IMG_0143.JPG

I'll cut the tack welds tonight and drop it out and get busy on finishing this part up.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
It's out.
IMG_0149.JPG

I welded the perimeters of the tubes. Got a little sloppy at the end because my HF light decided to stop working:fuss:.
IMG_0153.JPG

Whatever, I'm taking it to work tomorrow to do the dressing of the welds. That way those little metal shavings don't end up all over my garage floor just waiting for me to lay down.

Reactions: 3 users
I got the welds dressed this morning.
015F3468-C183-4436-BAC1-556A81190DF8.jpeg

I’ll sand it all down and get it coated with POR15 today.

My football games don’t start till 2:30 tomorrow, so I’ll have time to get the seam sealing done on the floor pan in the morning.

The reason I’m going a bit overboard on the web supports is that the t-top bar doesn’t offer much structural strength. Hopefully the some day engine will be in the 500/500 power range. I’ll want a little strength.

Reactions: 4 users
Looking good Dave! That should definitely help stiffen up the chassis.

BTW, I'll have some updates for you shortly on the IRS hardtail design I sent you. I've changed a little bit of the design while doing the all reinforcement work on the IRS over the last week or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking good Dave! That should definitely help stiffen up the chassis.

BTW, I'll have some updates for you shortly on the IRS hardtail design I sent you. I've changed a little bit of the design while doing the all reinforcement work on the IRS over the last week or so.
Thanks man. I was going through it a couple days ago trying to get my brain wrapped around it.

I’d be interested in seeing the mods to the original design.

Btw, what’s your first name? Hoyt?

I have this knocking sound that I just can't figure. :scratch:

I kinda sounds like this:

1541169813017.png

when I go over bumps or around corners. :shrug:
Lol. There’s no flex there with the SFCs and jacking rail.

We’ll see though. Maybe I’ll just coat my entire undercarriage in oil once I’m done so it’ll just slip around:p

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks man. I was going through it a couple days ago trying to get my brain wrapped around it.

I’d be interested in seeing the mods to the original design.

Btw, what’s your first name? Hoyt?

Maybe I'll actually try to get the step by step process together this weekend and get it to ya. My works busy lately and I'm being pulled in many directions so I haven't wanted to spent anymore time on the computer than I have to. I'd rather be in my garage welding away.

The design changes aren't huge, just a little less material and a few tweaks to make it easier to install.

And it's Chris, last name is Hoyt.

Maybe I'll actually try to get the step by step process together this weekend and get it to ya. My works busy lately and I'm being pulled in many directions so I haven't wanted to spent anymore time on the computer than I have to. I'd rather be in my garage welding away.

The design changes aren't huge, just a little less material and a few tweaks to make it easier to install.

And it's Chris, last name is Hoyt.
Cool Chris, I'm not in a huge rush. Take your time.

As soon as I finish the chassis support stuff I'm going to go back and finish the engine bay. Then I'll yank out my upper torque boxes, put the new support in, THEN i'll put you evil plans into action on my IRS.:eek:

BTW Chris @Hoytster , I had this 1.5" square tubing given to me. That's it next to the 1" tubing I used for the chassis support.
IMG_0160.JPG

I want to use it for the support that will replace the upper torque box. Think that'll be good?

Reactions: 1 users
BTW Chris @Hoytster , I had this 1.5" square tubing given to me. That's it next to the 1" tubing I used for the chassis support.
IMG_0160.JPG

I want to use it for the support that will replace the upper torque box. Think that'll be good?
Yep, that'll be fine. Being 1 1/2" will give you a little more room up top since I used 1 3/4 DOM and it was very close to the upper control arm mounts on the IRS cradle.

Today......Monday........what did I do?

I mean other than wake up and curse life for keeping me so dang good looking......:D

I got the cs painted green today. Yesterday I coated it with chip guard.

Did I take a picture? No......Tomorrow.

I got home from work, put away the fresh beer, and flopped down under Booger. I realized at this point that the passenger side wouldn't be as easy as the driver's side.

Apparently, the great land orca that used to own this mustang and destroyed it's original floorpan with their formidable tonnage didn't mind dragging the passenger side over every curb and speed bump along the way. I don't actually know the original owner, but I'm thinking their great big butt in this mustang may have been the original impetus for the cool look of a lowered mustang (Without lowering springs).

The pinch weld is FAR from straight, though much better than it originally was. I spent roughly an hour and a half just cleaning the metal. I spent all that time on the inside and outside of the pinch weld. It's not perfect yet, I will clean the edges better. The driver's side gave me fits when I welded the jr to it. I'm hoping this time it'll be nicer if I pay attention to cleanliness.
IMG_0166.JPG

Just for kicks I ground into the lower front 1/4. I knew it had mud in it, I just wanted to get an idea how bad. I think I might order a lower patch from LMR. The area was fixed by drilling holes in it to pull the panel out. Then they filled the holes with mud:nonono:. It doesn't go into the rocker though, that's a good thing.
IMG_0167.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Today......Monday........what did I do?

I mean other than wake up and curse life for keeping me so dang good looking......:D

I got the cs painted green today. Yesterday I coated it with chip guard.

Did I take a picture? No......Tomorrow.

I got home from work, put away the fresh beer, and flopped down under Booger. I realized at this point that the passenger side wouldn't be as easy as the driver's side.

Apparently, the great land orca that used to own this mustang and destroyed it's original floorpan with their formidable tonnage didn't mind dragging the passenger side over every curb and speed bump along the way. I don't actually know the original owner, but I'm thinking their great big butt in this mustang may have been the original impetus for the cool look of a lowered mustang (Without lowering springs).

The pinch weld is FAR from straight, though much better than it originally was. I spent roughly an hour and a half just cleaning the metal. I spent all that time on the inside and outside of the pinch weld. It's not perfect yet, I will clean the edges better. The driver's side gave me fits when I welded the jr to it. I'm hoping this time it'll be nicer if I pay attention to cleanliness.
IMG_0166.JPG

Just for kicks I ground into the lower front 1/4. I knew it had mud in it, I just wanted to get an idea how bad. I think I might order a lower patch from LMR. The area was fixed by drilling holes in it to pull the panel out. Then they filled the holes with mud:nonono:. It doesn't go into the rocker though, that's a good thing.
IMG_0167.JPG
What is a "CS"?

Status
Not open for further replies.