Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Cliff Notes Edition

Alright, i'm still feeling crappy but I thought i'd do something.

So I pulled the timing gears/chain, and pulled out the camshaft.
IMG_3754.JPG
IMG_3756.JPG

Since it only takes a couple minutes to drop pistons
IMG_3758.JPG
IMG_3757.JPG

The worst of the rod bearings off of the number four piston rod.
IMG_3755.JPG

I wasn't going to do anything tonight. Fact is, I was supposed to help my son replace the thermostat housing on his mustang. I told him no since I still felt like crud..............uhm.............So I told him to pull his car in the garage when he gets home from school tomorrow night. Then I went and did this. There's no helping me I guess.

So I may pull the crank wednesday.

• Sponsors (?)

So, pulling my crank by popular request. I wonder if a forged 3.8 crank is worth something? I won't be using this one again.
IMG_3760.JPG

The only bearing that looked a little worn was the front upper main.
IMG_3764.JPG

Nothing real exciting about this picture, just put the main caps back on the block.
IMG_3765.JPG

A final picture of the initial disassembly. That's the entire supercoupe engine there.
IMG_3768.JPG

Soooooo, next! The block needs a bath. I know I've been told the machinist will need the new rotating assembly to work on the block, but don't I need to know if the cylinders will need more than honing first before I buy the pistons?

Speaking of that. I wonder if there's much room for overboring these cylinders? I got some larnin' to do.

So I'm out at my brothers house in Stillwater today trying to put a little organization to his mess in his work shop. Get his three fox bodies in their own piles to hopefully get them sold.

Whilst there (you may remember me mentioning a 351/408) I put a feeler in with my sister in law about this.
IMG_3868.JPG

Right next to the engine there are these spindles......
IMG_3870.JPG
IMG_3871.JPG

On the other side of the shop there are a set of these as well
IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3875.JPG

Right above the heads on the wall there's this hanging.
IMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3877.JPG

Two inch primaries. Maybe a little large for 220 AFR's?

All these pictures just to say.......hum........

I know I've talked about drivetrain and even bought things already, but my brother will never ride in my car. This is a very sentimental possibility to me and I could probably force my way into getting them. But I'm just asking right now and will pay a fair value for these things.

Let’s not leave this Noobz’ imagination, I’m not sure where that might take us.

I decided to shave the antenna. I will be putting one of those button roof antennas on the roof (eventually).

One of the bodyman here convinced me that this is so much easier than cutting out a 1.125” blank and spot welding that into the hole.

What I did was to take a small piece of scrap metal, grind around the antenna hole on both sides, smeared some of my favorite PBA on the piece, stuck it in place and pinched welded it.

I didn’t know that I could weld through PBA. I definitely just did though. In addition to added strength, the PBA will seal the bare metal. It is ferociously attached now.

Another new thing to me, an electrical charge hardens the PBA almost instantly. Kind of neat.

Pictures
FD4CF4FA-E26E-4822-8A7A-5E620A58CBFC.jpeg
CA058E2A-7B3D-4B65-9ED5-B1867A7C502D.jpeg
7297FC4B-245D-4DA4-B71D-8994D439E617.jpeg

Ok, the next thing is going to be hard to type........I don’t like Kona Blue:nonono:.

I’m going to change the color. Seriously.

Remember that green I used for the GLX on the hood? I really like that color.

What do y’all think? Tell me what you think would be a good color.

I began to realize, that while this is a hard to find fox. It’s also a rust bucket I’m saving from an imminent return to nature. I’m going to do things to it that aren’t natural:rock:.

We have commitment! The IRS is mine! He sent me a couple more pictures after he dropped it out.

So Saturday I'll hit the road at about 5:00 am and head for Waco! Yay me! I should be back up to Dallas by two easy enough for Burgers and Beers.
IMG_4008.JPG
IMG_4009.JPG
IMG_4010.JPG
IMG_4011.JPG

Can you imagine how pretty that IRS will be when i'm through with it?

That’s to page 193! That’s right, it took ten pages of the regular thread to come up with one noteworthy post.:nonono:

Last edited:
Something new!

My pretty new floorpan.
IMG_4033.JPG

A complete front lights set to include new chrome rings, adjusters, etc....
IMG_4034.JPG

Top box is the new frame rail kit, the bottom is the seat cross brace.
IMG_4035.JPG

I'm still waiting on the Team Z lower radiator support and my plasma cutter.