Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on life.

First off, I still want to be working on my car.

Second, it's not so easy. I'm spending the weekends with my brother doing the odds and ends sht he would normally do at his place. This coming weekend my project is to reroof his storage shed and start building new doors for it.

He had just stripped the roof of all it's shingles and felt paper when he had to start his chemo and radiation treatments. I guess he thought the treatments wouldn't be that hard on him and he could finish it during the treatments, lol.

He's suffering from a problem called "chemo-brain" right now. Talking to him is close to talking to a person that has had a stroke (both of my parents died from strokes, so I got an idea). He has a rough time putting two words together. He seems to understand when I tell him about things. He nods his head like he's getting what i'm saying. And yet a tv remote is baffling to him. He knows what it's for, he just can't operate it. Though he understands if he gives it to me I can change the channel for him.

You can see how it frustrates him. He knows what he wants to say, he just can't communicate it. I tell him it's ok.

He's lost almost eighty pounds in the past three months. He was a little larger at the start of this journey, roughly 255 at 6'1". He's in the 170's now. He, physically, doesn't look terribly sick. He looks like a trim man now. Tough diet program.

This thursday he goes back for another petscan to see if the treatments killed the cancer. The doctors will also give him a catscan to see if the chemo has done any physical damage to his brain.

From what I understand, a person can recover from this disability. I don't know if it's a recovery of the existing brain cellls that control the communicative side or a case of a new section of the brain learning to compensate for a nonfunctional portion.

My oldest brother has never been a touchy feely sort of guy, but I gave him a hug last weekend. He seemed to be ok with that.

It's really amazing how a person changes through life. I've done things in my past that might be considered fairly challenging, perhaps even fairly hardcore (not the prons industry, ok?). Things most wouldn't consider genteel. And yet here I am now, 55 and crying to myself over my brother. Funny, isn't it......

Oh well. I'll be back after the car soon, and intensely too. Just got to take care of a few things first.

Reactions: 10 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Update on life.

First off, I still want to be working on my car.

Second, it's not so easy. I'm spending the weekends with my brother doing the odds and ends sht he would normally do at his place. This coming weekend my project is to reroof his storage shed and start building new doors for it.

He had just stripped the roof of all it's shingles and felt paper when he had to start his chemo and radiation treatments. I guess he thought the treatments wouldn't be that hard on him and he could finish it during the treatments, lol.

He's suffering from a problem called "chemo-brain" right now. Talking to him is close to talking to a person that has had a stroke (both of my parents died from strokes, so I got an idea). He has a rough time putting two words together. He seems to understand when I tell him about things. He nods his head like he's getting what i'm saying. And yet a tv remote is baffling to him. He knows what it's for, he just can't operate it. Though he understands if he gives it to me I can change the channel for him.

You can see how it frustrates him. He knows what he wants to say, he just can't communicate it. I tell him it's ok.

He's lost almost eighty pounds in the past three months. He was a little larger at the start of this journey, roughly 255 at 6'1". He's in the 170's now. He, physically, doesn't look terribly sick. He looks like a trim man now. Tough diet program.

This thursday he goes back for another petscan to see if the treatments killed the cancer. The doctors will also give him a catscan to see if the chemo has done any physical damage to his brain.

From what I understand, a person can recover from this disability. I don't know if it's a recovery of the existing brain cellls that control the communicative side or a case of a new section of the brain learning to compensate for a nonfunctional portion.

My oldest brother has never been a touchy feely sort of guy, but I gave him a hug last weekend. He seemed to be ok with that.

It's really amazing how a person changes through life. I've done things in my past that might be considered fairly challenging, perhaps even fairly hardcore (not the prons industry, ok?). Things most wouldn't consider genteel. And yet here I am now, 55 and crying to myself over my brother. Funny, isn't it......

Oh well. I'll be back after the car soon, and intensely too. Just got to take care of a few things first.
Take your time, sir.

Reactions: 1 user
We're not going anywhere any time soon. We'll be here waiting for Eden thou can get back to it.

Family is always first.... always.

Your brother needs you now more than ever.

My older brother is going through alot now too. He's had several heart attacks and a stroke. The pacemaker has been doing pretty good. His speech is almost back to normal but he has permanent short term memory loss. I help him every chance i can get.

It is amazing how time changes people.

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome of you for doing what you do, especially given 6 or 8 months ago we were all gathering our chains and brass knuckles to come "take care of him" for you. Youre a good man Mr. Dacarpainter, and Im glad you and your brother are spending the time together over you working on Roby.

So, out at my brothers today. Here’s us
344B3CD5-DE0B-4A7B-AFF4-1AE108811EB2.jpeg

We get the results back from the PETSCAN this Thursday.

Here’s to hoping the cancer is dead.

My nephew was there with me today, he’s such a good boy. Though I guess at 35 he’s not so much a boy anymore.

He owns a few businesses and is doing really well. He and his wife bought a new home pretty close to me a couple months back. But they haven’t lived in it yet. They’re staying in a trailer next to my brother right now so they can care for him. Like I said, he’s a good boy.

Reactions: 8 users
Not a single iota Dave, I don't reply much because I'm not sure what to say. We lost my wife's cousin to cancer a few years ago and I remember being there for his final moments, it is a very hard thing to go through. Being strong and consoling my wife, trying to keep him calm, to be honest I cried to myself after we got home and I was alone.
Your a great brother hang in there, I'm rooting for you guys.

This stuff doesn't bother me at all. Let's me know that there are other humans out there going through the stuff we all go through.

We are here for each other. It's great that you let us know how things are going on your life.

So, out at my brothers today. Here’s us
344B3CD5-DE0B-4A7B-AFF4-1AE108811EB2.jpeg

We get the results back from the PETSCAN this Thursday.

Here’s to hoping the cancer is dead.

My nephew was there with me today, he’s such a good boy. Though I guess at 35 he’s not so much a boy anymore.

He owns a few businesses and is doing really well. He and his wife bought a new home pretty close to me a couple months back. But they haven’t lived in it yet. They’re staying in a trailer next to my brother right now so they can care for him. Like I said, he’s a good boy.
Dave,

I think I can say for everyone here that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family tonight. and hoping your brother gets good news.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys, it means a lot to me.

I think today is the first day that I really accepted my brother is dying. I believe he may have had a stroke too. He can barely reply at all. He recognizes me i think, he smiled when I came in (maybe it's because i'm so dang pretty though:zombie:).

So, thursday. The catscan will tell about the stroke or not. The petscan about the cancer, just to bare myself, I don't know if I really want to know.

I think today is the first day that I really accepted my brother is dying. I believe he may have had a stroke too. He can barely reply at all. He recognizes me i think, he smiled when I came in (maybe it's because i'm so dang pretty though:zombie:).

So, thursday. The catscan will tell about the stroke or not. The petscan about the cancer, just to bare myself, I don't know if I really want to know.
It’s rough dave,I’m sorry you and your brother are going through it.
My dad battled esophageal cancer for several years,so I kinda know what you are going through. Like everybody else already said-I’m here if ya need me

I think today is the first day that I really accepted my brother is dying.
One of the hardest parts of fighting cancer sometimes is that point of "acceptance". The hard part for me was the part where you kind of stop routing for the survival (deep inside you know it won) and hope for as quick and pain free of a "departure" as possible. The battle of fighting the cancer can take such a toll that "if" you survive there won't be much of your loved one remaining to actually live and have a quality of life. That's what happened with my Grandmother, she fought so hard and so long and beat it but there wasn't much of her left to keep living (mentally and physically). Then it phukn came back 2 months after the "all clear", I'm just happy it took her quickly. Sorry this is a sad post, but there's nothing cheery about cancer even if you "beat" it. For those that win the battle it's always in the back of their mind daily about it coming back. My family has been through too many run ins with this frickin terrible disease I could just go on and on. Some survived and are well, some survived and are a gaunt shadow of their former selves, some...well you know.

Dave there are no words we can give you that seems right at the moment. My older brother is my best friend so I can't imagine your pain. I hope the best for you and your family.

Reactions: 1 users
Im very sorry Dave. Please vent at will here. This site is not like the others, we seem to have developed a lot of people that have been around for years and can talk more freely about whatever. Im very thankful for that, as I know most others are too.

Reactions: 1 users
I know what you're going thru Dave. I have had so many family members suffer with cancer and the treatments. Just found out another family member has terminal cancer(pancreatic). They gave her about a year. Its tough. Im kinda glad I'm in the line of work I'm in. It helps me cope with suffering and death because I see it almost daily. Tho its much harder when its family.

You and your family are in my prayers.

The oncologist read the ctscan today. The got him into the er.

He has a massive brain tumor now, that’s why he couldn’t speak.

The chemo and radiation therapy didn’t do much except to make him feel really sick.

No chance of survival. Don’t know how long it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.