Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm certain that he believes. :shrug:
D7095E2F-C6EB-4563-8437-A98ED0598CC4.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Funny you mention the auto floor pan thing, I never knew this til this past week.

I was buying the lower shifter boot when LMR recommend the 5- Speed Hump conversion.
DDAC979E-2C01-498E-AAF1-8B5DEE0289AE.jpeg

E5008412-05DA-47B1-AA61-76B55D8E76D3.jpeg

Learn something new every day I guess.

Looking good Dave!
Yeah, I had to choose between auto and manual for the floorpan. That takes care of buying that piece you got.

Funny you mention the auto floor pan thing, I never knew this til this past week.

I was buying the lower shifter boot when LMR recommend the 5- Speed Hump conversion.
DDAC979E-2C01-498E-AAF1-8B5DEE0289AE.jpeg

E5008412-05DA-47B1-AA61-76B55D8E76D3.jpeg

Learn something new every day I guess.

Looking good Dave!

Love that suede dash. I would love to cover my upper dash in it if it wouldnt look out of place with the rest of my interior.

Ooh ohh let me guess.....
Dave has found a way to make red crystal meth by adding ketchup to paint thinner. The tweekers can't get enough.......

His regular name is David Soukop..
His business name is Heinzenburg

While Mike’s suggestion may warrant further entrepreneurial investigation.......

I can tell now.

Work hadn’t improved work wise, I don’t give up easily on anything really. I’m a very loyal employee.....but I got bills to pay.

One of the best body shops to work in town offered me a job. I turned it down. They have a team concept for the paint shop. In other words, The paychecks are split equally among the painters. I would end up carrying the load for the team. Been there, really, really don’t like that.

So yesterday the manager of that shop called me back and told me they would change the way they pay in the shop to get me to come over.

I provisionally accepted with the caveat that I would be able to offer my current manager first dibs on me if he could come up with an acceptable deal.

That’s where I am right now. I gave the dealership till this evening to make something of a deal with me. I honestly don’t think they’ll be able to do it.

The new shop has a fantastic reputation, I’ll be starting there next Thursday unless the unthinkable happens and this shop gives me a good deal.

All that said, low paychecks are about to be a thing if the past. I used to be able to blow $500 a paycheck in mustang parts. Hopefully those days are soon to be back. I got to do some catching up first and rebuild a little bit of savings for slow times again.

But Booger will be a happy beneficiary of this new situation.

Reactions: 9 users
It's official, I'm starting my new job next Thursday.

I really like my current place of employment, but the owner didn't necessarily even know that I worked for him though I've met him on several occasions. He made no offer to keep me. A little disappointing, but given his attitude concerning the bodyshop, not totally unexpected.

Bright side is the new shop is known to be a difficult location to land a job as a painter, and they contacted me and were willing to bend over backwards for my employment.

So, time to say adios to the old and a great big hola to the new. Woohoo!:banana::banana::banana:

I'll get back after Booger a bit tomorrow. I have to go get the employment packet from the new place tomorrow. Then pee in a cup friday.

I'll make sure I have the tubing necessary to build the sfc's this weekend.

Reactions: 9 users
Today I’ll clean up the edges. I’m starting right here.
image.jpg

It was a little challenge finding all of the spot welds in that rotted area, but I got it.
FDBB744C-37C3-414A-AA34-5A4A4ABA352A.jpeg

I’m going to have to patch this area on the rear pan as well. That’s where the eb cable bracket is.
7C51180D-481B-4688-9544-4C353C58CF13.jpeg
How do you go about cleaning the scaled rust in areas like the first picture? Wire wheel? I have a lot of rust like that to tackle on my next project and would like to know what would be the best option.

It's official, I'm starting my new job next Thursday.

I really like my current place of employment, but the owner didn't necessarily even know that I worked for him though I've met him on several occasions. He made no offer to keep me. A little disappointing, but given his attitude concerning the bodyshop, not totally unexpected.

Bright side is the new shop is known to be a difficult location to land a job as a painter, and they contacted me and were willing to bend over backwards for my employment.

So, time to say adios to the old and a great big hola to the new. Woohoo!:banana::banana::banana:

I'll get back after Booger a bit tomorrow. I have to go get the employment packet from the new place tomorrow. Then pee in a cup friday.

I'll make sure I have the tubing necessary to build the sfc's this weekend.
Congrats Dave- Hope you make lots of money in the new place

That happened to me too Dave. I was working at a shop that did all the high end cars where I live. Worked there for 17 years, learned the trade working on Porsche’s, Audi’s, Benz’s, rovers, money was good when I was younger, but the older I got I was still making about the same, always on salary. It was a family owned shop and the owner would never put me on commission. Got a job offer from a dealership body shop 3 years ago, took it and went on to making 1 to 2k more a month on a commission based pay. Glad to hear that your moving on to bigger and better things Dave!:cheers:

How do you go about cleaning the scaled rust in areas like the first picture? Wire wheel? I have a lot of rust like that to tackle on my next project and would like to know what would be the best option.
A combination of tools, wire wheel, fiber wheel.

Sand blasting would be the best way though.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.