Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I am far from master, but I'd be leary about trying it upside down. Main reason being is that welding gas is heavier than air and will fall away from the weld if upside down. I cant confirm that is true, but that's my theory.

I am far from master, but I'd be leary about trying it upside down. Main reason being is that welding gas is heavier than air and will fall away from the weld if upside down. I cant confirm that is true, but that's my theory.
I’m going to give it a try when I weld the right side chassis support in.

I’ll send texts from the hospital on how it went.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
electrocuted.gif

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Never done it myself, but my thoughts would be that the pressurized gas would offset that. I have seen YouTube videos of guys doing it, but can't really say.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, truth be known, here's kind of what I was expecting from my first tig welding experience.
IMG_0333.JPG

I was very close to that in real life, lol. I have a metal bench that I'm using for a welding bench as I learn to tig. It has a drawer in it that I was sure was empty. Well the neighbor across the street apparently decided to grill today without making sure I was okay with it. I smelled smoke and naturally I figured I lit the Murder House on fire, landlord isn't gonna like that.......

So I'm checking sht out, trying to find the source of the smell. I open the drawer and there's a nice full canister of butane I use for my mini-torches! It was right under where I was welding! Moral of the story, don't be a moron, moron's die in explosions like this.
IMG_0333.JPG

I went to HF and got a cheap set of tig gloves, I tried with the mig gloves and couldn't manipulate the filler rod at all. $10 with a 20% off coupon. Much easier to work with.
IMG_0349.JPG

Here's the results of my initial experience. The piece of metal with the holes blown in it was my learning experience that the pedal control completely overrides the amperage control on the welder. When you put your foot down on the pedal, you get full current running to the torch. Notice how long the hole is? That took maybe a millisecond to do, lol!
IMG_0346.JPG

I dirtied up the tungsten electrode maybe about twelve times before I learned not to dip into the puddle. You see, I already knew not to do that, but I did it anyhow because I'm not your average stupid.

The second piece of metal is where I really just tried to start focusing on moving the torch smoothly and dabbing the filler material. I got better as I went along. Trying to separate what my left hand is doing from my right helped. I kept raising the angle that I dabbed the filler rod in almost like the slight (15*) angle of the torch as I went along, kind of hard to hit the puddle at that angle! lol! Though you can consistently hit the electrode. :nonono: I think I like the foot pedal more than the finger switch at the torch. I like being able to control the amount of current in the weld.
IMG_0347.JPG

Not terribly bad for my first try.

I'm going to practice more over the next couple weeks with different thickness of metal and different sized electrodes and filler rods. I like tig welding A WHOLE LOT MORE than mig. No sparks and mess like that.:banana:

I had to go to my storage unit to get my belt sander to clean up the dirty tungsten. While I was there I looked at Booger for awhile. The flared quarters may be out. I'm getting a little melvinized about keeping the original lines of the car now.

The right quarter still has the ugly bodywork issues though that will take work. I do still have the skin from the donor junk door. I can use pieces of it to section the damaged front lower part.
IMG_0342.JPG

So, no Booger in the garage yet. I'm going to try to get this tig thingy down a bit more first.

Reactions: 2 users
Welds look good Dave. Ive been pondering buying a tig welder just so I can make an aluminum overflow tank for Dusty.

Welds look good Dave. Ive been pondering buying a tig welder just so I can make an aluminum overflow tank for Dusty.
It’s fun Scott.

I’ll spend an hour a night for the next week with steel. Maybe I’ll try aluminum next for things like overflow tanks and such.

It would be pretty neat to make those things to the exact dimensions I want.

So, this is a tig welding thread for a bit. Youtube has been nothing short of being my welding god as of late.

I took that coupon (that's what they call those little pieces of practice metal) that i've been practicing just plane old beads on and cleaned it up at work. I forgot I had these other chunks there as well. More practice coupons!
IMG_0351.JPG

Here's the lying picture of how my welds started out for fillet welds. I would have these moments that I had a idiot savant talent for tigging.
IMG_0353.JPG

Mostly though, I was more idiot and quite a bit less savant.
IMG_0356.JPG

Not to be real harsh on myself though, these fugly welds taught me a bunch. About several things for tig welding; heat control, filler rod size and type, tungsten tip shaping, movement of the torch (speed and distance), etc, etc, yada, yada......

One thing i learned, it's much easier tigging with the proper filler rod size. I only had 1/16 rod, I stopped at HF and picked up some 3/32 today. GEEZ what a difference! Here's the difference between the 1/16 and 3/32.
IMG_0357.JPG

When I was welding with the 1/16 filler it had a tendency to melt before i could reach the puddle with it. The coupons are so thick that they need a fair amount of heat to develop a nice weld puddle. It was proving too much for the filler.

Here's a picture of the coupon with some 1/16 filler beads and some 3/32 filler beads. Quite a bit of difference.
IMG_0360.JPG

So, here's a couple pictures of my "dime stacking" ,lol.
IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

I forgot to take my coupons to work today for their cleaning, so a lot of these welds are just reshaping the previous welds and adding a little filler. The couple picture above I'm trying to show areas that were just regular welds developed with filler.

I'll get better with my welds. I still am practicing everyday.

Here's another one of what I think is called a fillet joint(?).
IMG_0362.JPG

Not real sexy yet, I'll get there.

I've got to get tig welding down. There's a job opening at a huge local speed shop. One of the most sought after skills is tig welding steel and aluminum.

Reactions: 1 users
I've got to get tig welding down. There's a job opening at a huge local speed shop. One of the most sought after skills is tig welding steel and aluminum.
It’s actually pretty fun Scott.

It does take patience.

The welding videos on YouTube have been invaluable to me. I’ve watched the beginners ones several times.

I’d love to be good enough to weld roll cages and the sort.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.