Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
img_3445-jpg.589308.jpg

You're going to need those to ditch the blunt when the cop turns his lights on.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Im excited for you Dave! Youve been at it for a bit now, and the time has come that you are getting to dig in. Personally, unless you get the SC seats and stock rear seat upholstered to match, I think mismatched seats will throw off the interior. The SC seats do look comfy though! Also, I like the bumper insert idea, but it sucks you would have to mess up such pretty paint.

Reactions: 1 users
PS, it seems you have already taken a liking to the name Scuby, lol.
Yeah, my youngest boy was a Scooby Doo fanatic. Kind of gives a fond attachment to me that way.

If I name something, it becomes more than just a inanimate object to me. Kind of like my truck. It's called post, piece of sht truck.:eek:

It was mentioned that Subaru owners call their cars that, kind of funny, at work we've always called Subaru's by that name.

Im excited for you Dave! Youve been at it for a bit now, and the time has come that you are getting to dig in. Personally, unless you get the SC seats and stock rear seat upholstered to match, I think mismatched seats will throw off the interior. The SC seats do look comfy though! Also, I like the bumper insert idea, but it sucks you would have to mess up such pretty paint.
Two things here. I would make the seats all black. I don't know if the rear seats would fit in my car or not. I might take them along and do some measuring. That'd be kind of interesting.

Second, the embossing of the letters on the t-bird bumper say, "Thunderbird SC". All I could use is the SC. I'll give more thought to this one.

In the end I may just get a script chrome emblem that says "Supercoupe" and put it where the mustang emblem goes on the decklid with the GLX emblem next to it like the original emblems.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, my youngest boy was a Scooby Doo fanatic. Kind of gives a fond attachment to me that way.

If I name something, it becomes more than just a inanimate object to me. Kind of like my truck. It's called post, piece of sht truck.:eek:

It was mentioned that Subaru owners call their cars that, kind of funny, at work we've always called Subaru's by that name.
I knew a guy that had a WRX. He referred to the car as a " Subie".
I'm not part of the culture, but I'd bet they call the cars by that name, instead of the one given to a pizza eating Great Dane

Here's some good news, it's raining fairly hard today!

Why is that good? Scuby is staying dry during a rainstorm for the first time in 16 years!:zombie::rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Here's some good news, it's raining fairly hard today!

Why is that good? Scuby is staying dry during a rainstorm for the first time in 16 years!:zombie::rock:
You just wait Dave,...you think it feels good now, wait till its done and it's sitting in your real garage. Then you'll just sneak out every now and then, and just sit in it,...amazed that it's your car, it looks as good as it does, and it's all yours.

Reactions: 1 user
You just wait Dave,...you think it feels good now, wait till its done and it's sitting in your real garage. Then you'll just sneak out every now and then, and just sit in it,...amazed that it's your car, it looks as good as it does, and it's all yours.
Hell Mike, I'll be pretty excited to see that sc engine sitting in my garage!

Too early to imagine the whole car yet.

Hell Mike, I'll be pretty excited to see that sc engine sitting in my garage!

Too early to imagine the whole car yet.
Yeahhh,..I was looking at the current 3.8 that's in the car.....there's just so much going on with all the hoses and wires all over the place, I'm concerned that the engine will get buried under all of the support stuff...
It'll take a dedicated effort to bring out the detail in that engine compartment.

I agree. I've been studying it a bit. I'll get at least a chiltons manual this week.

The sc engine will need a little organizing (deorganizing?) to make it look neat and tidy. I want form as well as function.

Form is down the road a little bit. Here are my plans tentatively:

Get the sc engine out of the t-bird and get it home.

Tear down and rebuild. This will probably take till springtime due to the cost.

I'll still need to buy a tko and supporting stuff as well.

Get a salvage 8.8 and redo it. The rear end will get some special time. After i'm done welding up the tubes I'll send it off for powder coating. I still have the new differential that I bought for the car that must not be named. I want disc brakes on the rear.

I really want MM suspension under Scuby. Pretty much a Box set up of theirs. I may use the QA1 coilovers for the rear. I may go with MM's coilovers with Bilsteins. That's a ways off for now though.

I need to buy the new floor pan and seat brace too.

I want (for now) to use a Ron Francis harness as well as an aftermarket computer to run things.

All these things will need to be bought before I bring Scuby home to the garage. I want him to be built when it gets to the garage, not waiting around for parts. I learned a couple things from that other mustang.

What I'm saying is, I see how easy it is for a build to last as long as yours did (and does).

Reactions: 4 users
Good plans.
+1 on. The RF panel. While it wasn't easy for me as I would've expected it to be, it could've been worse.

The suspension stuff is your call. It makes sense that everyone of us would do that, as I'd imagine all of us has some stretch of twisty, windy road somewhere that justifies the upgrade.

Welding the axle tubes is a drag race thing though. I've seen more harm than good come from guys that attempt this though.
#1. The heat has to be set at max on the welder, and once you start welding,nyou have to go completely around the tube to keep the heat from trying to pull the tube one way or the other.
#2. They are dissimilar metals. You are welding steel tubing to the cast center section.
In the grand scheme of things, it's done all the time, but are you really planning on putting on a sticky tire, putting the car on a prepped track, and sidestepping the clutch where that situation would ever present itself as a potential for axle twist?

Overkill Dave.....overkill kills budgets. Not that it costs so much to weld those tubes,..but "justification thinking" i.e. " I may as well go ahead and......"

In other words... " Since I've welded the axle tubes, I may as well go ahead an upgrade the axles to 31 spline, add 9" housing ends, upgrade the diff to a Detroit locker, install a girdle,...and order my 12" Cobra rear brake kit."

$2000.00 just said...............Poof!

I think I stayed pretty much dead on track with regard to my actual plan for my rear end, excepting the one instance of " do it twice" where I measured the axles wrong, this car would have stock 28 spline axles in it. But since I did that, I do have Moser Axles,..but they're still 28 spline.

The 315's that are on back will never show enough resistance to spinning as to ever challenge the integrity of those axles.

Remember me when it comes time for the ecu build,...I'm more than happy to do that for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.