84 gt trans fluid

stang84gt

Dec 23, 2007
Im putting a clutch in my 84 gt 5 speed and was wondering what fluid to put in, when I searched i kept finding that i should put atf in it, when i drained it gear oil came out.

So i odnt know if some one put in the wrong fluid or if it just takes gear oil.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

NO dont put gear oil in it! just any automatic transmission fluid! either just use regular or synthetic! no gear oil!!! if someone put gear oil in there it was to cover up any grinding it was doing! did it smell real raunchy? most people will put gear oil in it to quiet it up so that they can sell it! just use ATF James

no problem! ya if it smelled bad and was thick it was definitely gear oil! could have been to cover up griding noises like i said! or could have been done with good intentions! Ive heard of lots of people thinking gear oil is supposed to go in the tans on a t5! but you just need ATF! that's all! James

ill run some cheap atf in it for a couple hundred miles then drain and it fill it up with some good atf to make sure all the gear oil is out. hopefully there is nothing wrong with the trans, its only got 123000 on it. its all stock so it couldnt be in to bad of shape unless some one was really abusing it.

the car sat for 7 years before i got it.

FWIW, some of the factory fills come out pretty thick and really rancid. It would not be tough to mistake for a lightweight gear oil.