85 Carb guys got some?'s

RsStanG1987

I shaved all my pubes playing this game.
10 Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Dupont PA
What size carb is too much? I was thinking of a holley 650 double pumper to stick on the stock block with an eddy lower. Is that too much or should i stay around 600cfm? Also is there a way to connect a newer alt. on an 85..

• Sponsors (?)

I would say that if the car is stock except for the intake, a 600 cfm carb is more than enough. Now if other mods are done....................I have used 750 cfm carbs on 302 engines with no problems, but they had more cam, bigger heads, exhaust, gears, ect ect. so it really comes down to your own combination of parts, and how you use the car.

I have an 85 too...Mine came with a 600 edelbrock cfm 1405 when i bought it, the car ran really lean....I dont know if someone jetted that way or what...Now i have a edelbrock 650 AVS thunder series...I have all exhaust work done...It does run rich tho...I have an Air fuel gauge to check it...But im going with H/C/I soon so i hope the 650 wont be to big then....But for now im going to re-jet it lean it out...so i diont run so rich...then go back to the other setting when i do the motor work...Thats why i love the edelbrock its easy to tune....Hope this helps...

I bought a 650dp with the intentions of getting a 351W and never ended up getting it...i've been running it on my 302 for years now and it runs fine. It might have a little more bottom end with a 600 but if you plan on getting a cam or decent heads in the future, save yourself the cash and buy a 650 now.

That said...i've "heard" that the only difference between a 600dp and a 650dp is jetting and the base plate. If that's true then theoretically you could put a 600 baseplate on a 650 and jet it accordingly and have a 600, and then visa versa to have the 650.