'85 Cougar XR7=Good Parts car?

JohnnyC

Oct 13, 2003
New Jersey
I found a 1985 Cougar XR 7 for sale and I was wondering if it considered a good parts car for a turbo swap. Ill be putting the engine in my '90 hatchback. I dont know what tranny it has but the engine has about 150,000 on it. The engine will be re built before I do the swap. Should I do a compression test before buying it? Anything you guys reccomend checking out? I have no experience with the XR 7 and wasnt sure if it was a good choice or not. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Duanetc1 said:
Why dont you just buy a 2.3 turbo long block for a few hundred bucks then rebuild that? A lot less work than buying a parts car and pulling it apart.
The car is only $150 and I would get alot more than just a longblock. Seems like a good deal to me. I thought it would be good for a swap. I have yet to see it though, waiting for the owner to get back to me.

I picked up the car today. It runs but the boost guage isnt working. I can hear the turbo spool up but Im not sure what the problem is. Hopefully Ill get it sorted out soon and start working on the swap.

realtripp said:
I have to agree with SVO1 on this. It was my understanding that pulling apart an XR7 for parts would be akin to pulling apart an SVO for parts. Pretty rare and fairly unique cars IMHO.

Where are you located and what do you want for it?
Thats one I don't have and would be great part of my collection. Would you trade a complete 85 TC for it? send me a PM