Brakes 85 To 86 Mustang Gt Brake Upgrade

Daryl cyr

Sep 27, 2017
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade my front brakes on 85 mustangs GT 10" rotor set to a 86 GT 11" rotor set up 4 lug. I swapped over front spindles and calipers complete and had to put washers in the holes for the strut /spindle mounting about 1/4 space. Had to also drill strut bolt holes to next size up. Everything is in the car without any major modifications but alignment looks way off on the toe measurements. I have pony wheels on as well. Is this normal or can it not be done. Is there enough room to adjust the tie rods or do I need anything else.
Thanks for any advice or help

• Sponsors (?)

I assume you mean 1987+ brakes as the 1986 has the same 10" brakes as your '85.

But yes, toe will be off. You will need to manually straighten the wheels by adjusting the tie rod ends and then go get it aligned once all set.

I assume you mean 1987+ brakes as the 1986 has the same 10" brakes as your '85.

But yes, toe will be off. You will need to manually straighten the wheels by adjusting the tie rod ends and then go get it aligned once all set.

Yes I think I meant 87. I had purchased slotted rotors and brake pads off a friend and they didn't fit the 85 like he thought they would so he gave me spindles and calipers. I will adjust the toe and see how I make out. Thanks for the help