86 3.8l broken water pump stud

nesnej

Mar 31, 2019
Salina, KS
I see I am not the first with this issue but I would love it if it were a short bolt or just broken off at the head. oh no, not that easy. instead, I broke one of the longest ones that goes to the ps pump. It broke at the place the threads start so mine is probably 4" in the engine. thoughts on how to approach a break like that? I don't see how to get a bit in that far without causing other issues. I am not opposed to the helicoil fix if I can get that deep (seems doubtful) and if I do something like this, I would not know when to stop drilling very accurately...concerning. This is the stupidest design and lack of thought of metal compatibility [automotive engineer being slapped int he background]. any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
You should only need to drill about 1/4 to 1/2 inch into the bolt and use an extractor to unscrew it. It's called an easy out...looks like a reverse drill bit but its tapered. A little heat on the broken bolt with a propane torch will help.

Use a good steel drill bit small enough to drill into the bolt without cutting into the threads.

nesnej

Mar 31, 2019
Salina, KS
Watched some videos and seems the timing belt cover being removed might help but also opens the issue of resealing against the oil pan. I am in a small one stall garage so no toom to pull engine. I am already in deeper than i hoped. Any thoughts on leave cover on or pull it? Bolts for water pump you recommend? I want new after that.

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
The 3.8 bolt set is different than the 5.0. You should be able to find suitable grade 8 bolts at a hardware store. Advance auto sells a water pump stud bolt kit but leaves o e bol out that we need o our 5.0s...not sure about 3.8.

There's really nothing you can do about the studs corroding. Use a good sealant like Permatex " right stuff " gasket maker. It comes in a handy dandy little aerosol type can. That stuff will seal anything including the strip of the oil pan below the cover. With the cover off it does make it easier. If there is a portion sticking out heat it up with a propane torch and try using a pair of vise grips. ( that's what I had to do to mine...and a bunch of others ). Heat it and then spray some PB Blaster or WD40.

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
whenever you have steel bolts to attach aluminum to steel and liquid flowing through it there is electrolysis develops causing the steel bolts to corrode, use anti size on the threads and the shank where it comes in contact with the aluminum, if the bolt enters a water jacker the use a thread sealant.