86 Mystery Mods Progress!

The object you have your fingers on is not the tb, thats an egr spacer, dosen't matter anyway. You need to get the wiring sorted otherwise your chasing your tail.
I saw that, but it was the only thing that looked like it might be aftermarket, and it, from what I can read says power throttle bodies. Thought maybe it came as an assembly.

Yes a diagram will b most useful, hopefully I can check on his work and he didn't mess it up too bad

• Sponsors (?)

Cardon 78-4352. Seems to be their reman A9l ecu, is this correct? I'd like to get one coming as soon as I can. That way I can finish what the other guy started.

Car was supposed to be a fun daily that needed brakes and a little tlc, thought it might need a IAC. Lol not so much, but it will be sweet when it's running right. :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
I ordered a A9l computer. Looking at the harness, it doesn't look like the MAF has been spliced, is it possible that either the explorer or later model mustang harness was used? Is there a good way to ID it. Seems like maybe he ran out of time or money to finish the conversion? Or fried the maf computer and swapped the vm1 back in to get it to run?

your gonna have to try to match up some wire colors for your car to the colors that are supposed to be there, try veryuseful.com for some wire diagrams, see if the colors on the computer connection is the same and in the same pin locations. that's the best suggestion I have.

I ordered a A9l computer. Looking at the harness, it doesn't look like the MAF has been spliced, is it possible that either the explorer or later model mustang harness was used? Is there a good way to ID it. Seems like maybe he ran out of time or money to finish the conversion? Or fried the maf computer and swapped the vm1 back in to get it to run?
Where did you order the ecu from and how much did you pay? Just wondering as I have one on a shelf.
Best way to make sure things are pinned right is to unhook the battery and ecu then check continuity on the wires.
88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif
check the wiring to the ecu pins using a multimeter a length of wire soldered to a safety pin makes it easy to probe wires.

Where did you order the ecu from and how much did you pay? Just wondering as I have one on a shelf.
Best way to make sure things are pinned right is to unhook the battery and ecu then check continuity on the wires.
88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif
check the wiring to the ecu pins using a multimeter a length of wire soldered to a safety pin makes it easy to probe wires.
Amazon, it was new reman w/ warranty $200. Probably more then I should, but too late now. Thanks for the graphic. I think I may pull the entire engine harness and start checking everything off

You'll still need to go through the wiring to verify thart everything is hooked up correctly. Simply google mustang MAF conversion and you'll find the pins that need to be changed out. Just verify that these changes have been already made.

It is entirely possible that the original owner wired the MAF into the harness, but didn't make any of the other changes and the car is still operating as a SD car.

Side note? Once I get the wiring sorted, I have a MSD 6 non limiter version I was going to use on my 460 truck engine, is that something I can run with the computer control, or should I save it for my carbed 460

Side note? Once I get the wiring sorted, I have a MSD 6 non limiter version I was going to use on my 460 truck engine, is that something I can run with the computer control, or should I save it for my carbed 460

Save it for whichever vehicle you have where you prefer it to spontaneously die on the side of the road. :)

The stock ignition in these cars is pretty stout. Stout to the point where I've ridden on it all the way to 500 FWHP (on boost) before needing anything additional.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the A9l today, getting ready to start installing it, and I keep finding open connectors. These 2 and a home made relay, up front on the pass side out of the same trunk line the MAF is in.
IMG_20171006_172341.jpg

You'll still need to go through the wiring to verify thart everything is hooked up correctly. Simply google mustang MAF conversion and you'll find the pins that need to be changed out. Just verify that these changes have been already made.

It is entirely possible that the original owner wired the MAF into the harness, but didn't make any of the other changes and the car is still operating as a SD car.

I'm finding all kinds of changes, in the pic above the red wire on the plug has been cut and spliced into whatever that block is and runs to, under the hood I found by the test port, the green /yellow cut and spliced into what looks like brown. Some sort of old school computer bypass?

I'm going to look up and print off an 86 harness, because nothing looks to be where it should be like the 89+ harness that i hoped had been swapped in. If I find the right schematic I think my best option is to pull it all, rebuild it to stock then make the MAF mods instead of hoping it's right and frying the A9l I just got.

Reactions: 1 users
Started to do repair work. Looks like it's mostly the 86 harness, but the injection harness looks like it's from an 89 or later based on the only factory date codes I could find.

Pulled the intake to clean up the vacuum and make harness removal easier. DO NOT USE BATHROOM SILICONE.

Cleaned all the crap off the intake was fun, 99% sure there was a vacuum leak at that gasket.
IMG_20171007_121523.jpg
IMG_20171007_121523.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171007_142933.jpg
    IMG_20171007_142933.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 92
So.... This is what I've found out. I have a complete 92-3 harness from the computer to the fuel injection. I've gone through it all and fixed nearly all the crap splices and junk solder, with good soldering and shrink tube.

I'm down to the 8 pin connector on the drivers side fender and the rest of the harness on that tail. At the 8 pin, the MAF had a red female connector, and the SD harness has a black male connector. It looks as though the PO had spliced a hand full of the wires over to the old style connector, but left some cut and wrapped, and others still connected to the MAF red connector. I'd like to correctly graft the 2 to clean it all up and function properly.

Not my soldering btw. Lol

IMG_20171029_190029.jpg

Last edited: