86 5.8 Swap Questions

86ragtop

Oct 12, 2007
I ran my 86 5.0 LX Convertible hot a few weeks ago. HOT is an understatement...I toasted the 5.0 trying to get it off the freeway after a busted lower hose (sub-conscientiously...maybe on purpose). In trying to drive it home afterwards...I could only drive 15 miles before blowing about 3 gallons of steam out of the exhaust. I got pulled over because of the cloud...

Long story short: I have a complete 70k mile 5.8 motor out of a '95 F150. I have done quite a bit of research and I'm following the current series in Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords. Most of what I've read...folks are starting out with a 5.8 block. So I have a few questions for the Ford Savvy folks (I'm a Mustang loving Mopar Guy).

I'm assuming I don't need to purchase the following parts that are listed for the swap on most sites: the 28oz damper or front pulley spacer, the oil pump and oil pump drive shaft, distributor or injectors.

I'm assuming that I DO need: 5.8 oil pan swap kit, a/c and ps pump bracket, 5.8 swap headers, 28 oz flywheel, and a 5.8 intake.

My cam question is should I swap out the cam? I'm assuming the truck cam is a bit above a broom stick. I don't want to change the pistons so...what cam can I swap to with out worrying about PTV clearance? I'm looking at a 'B' or TFS stage 1 or a Comp XE264HR. I have already swapped to Mass Air.

I'm assuming the heads on this motor are E7's which are better than what I had (E6's) but I do have a set of used Thumpers that have 1.6 Intake roller rockers rollers (SVO B351) and 1.7 exhaust roller rockers (Crane F32E-6529-AB). I'm on a tight budget will would use these (I was going to run these on my stock 302). How would the 1.7's affect my cam choice as well. I was also thinking about Patriot or Flo-Tek aluminum (I'll have to save up a bit for these...may sale the Thumpers to help)

Intake...will my stock 302 upper fit the stock 5.8 bottom?

Also to save money I was going with the Ram HDX clutch over the King Cobra and I'm thinking of Professional Products Typhoon 5.8 Intake.

Please let me know what you think!!!

Attachments

• IMG00804-20100525-1353.jpg
    IMG00804-20100525-1353.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG00808-20100525-1354.jpg
    IMG00808-20100525-1354.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Sponsors (?)

Oil Pan: pre 1991 Crown Vic police car with the 351 with the matching pickup.

Brackets: you can Modify your stock brackets, just be creative

Headers: Yup, swap headers will work

Lower intake: Here it gets tricky, of you want to use factory stuff then you are going to have to get a first gen Lighting lower, then you can use a Cobra, Explorer, or GT40 Tubular upper, or some aftermarket companies have 351 specific lowers for their uppers.

Camshaft: You should have a roller block, I would do a roller cam like a TFS 1 or a nice roller Lunati... Keep it around .525 lift because of your heads (more on those later).

Heads: You can use the Thumpers, but you will have to make sure you can get a 1/2" bolt through the headbolt holes... 302's have a 7/16" and 351's have 1/2" headbolts. For your rockers, I would say use them, just pick a cam that will keep you around the .525 valve lift. To see where you are going to be you multiply lobe lift x rocker ratio = valve lift. Here is a E303 (I have this in my engine, so I know the specs off the top of my head) Lobe Lift (.311) x Rocker Ratio (1.7) = Valve Lift (.529) (Stock rockers are 1.6, so it will be .498 on the valve lift with 1.6's).

I hope this helps, please ask whatever other questions you may have.... I'm tired...