86 fox 351w (427) project

Driver460sz

5 Year Member
Jan 14, 2019
New Hampshire
I have found pieces of useful tips here and there for my build but haven't had anyone say what I am about to ask, does in fact, work. I will be putting in a 351w stroked to 427 into a 1986 302 roller based SD Mustang. Originally I was going to do the ECU swap (A9l) and MAF conversion. I actually have the parts to make this happen but would still have to acquire a chip and tune.

Then I stumbled onto stand-alone ECU swap programs. In particular, after digging around and seeing some videos and results I have become impressed, or maybe just intrigued, with the basic MicroSquirt system that is minimal but suits my need.

So, the question, has anyone done an SD fox mustang swap with a stroked efi 351, keeping the car an SD vehicle while using the MicroSquirt to tune and run the vehicle? Stage 2 Trick Flow cam, 36/42 lb injectors, 205cc heads, 90mm throttle body...Just a few key pieces that might support responses.

Thanks, folks. Looking to get the beast into the car in the next few months.

• Sponsors (?)

Sure many many people have check out this section of the forum for basic information...
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/digital-self-tuning-forum.357/

If you need anymore information or help feel free to ask, the MS series of ECU is very popular on this board in fact my car is powered by a heavily modified MSpnp.
There is nothing the MS cannot do, however the Micro is limited in its potential due to it being a sealed unit [ cant modify ] but for a basic buildup it will do everything you want and then some. Lots of guys on here running the micro, even turbo cars.

Reactions: 1 user
I run ms in my car. It's a really nice system. For basic stuff I've seen the microsquirt work well. The best deal right now is the Pimp xs ....its a mega squirt based system but does a whole lot more. The microsquirt and mspnp2 use bank firing for the injectors. It works very well but the pimp will allow real sequential fuel injections with tuning capabilities per cylinder. If you want to get the most out of your set up I'd go with Stinger or ms3.

My car does well with MSpnp2 but for the cost I should've sprang for ms3 or Stinger.

A microsquirt will put you leaps and bounds above most carburetor set ups.

I think I need to know the difference between basic stuff and more. I literally only need this system to work with the motor swap so that the motor will start up when I want to and go for a drive or fart around on some straightaways around town. No track, no racing dudes on the highway, just start up and go. With the occasional adrenaline bump when you goose her! Basically, what will be the cheapest way to make this all work. And the MicroSqirt seemed to be the easiest install and added some dial in stuff as needed.

You'll be impressed with the microsquirt in a fun street car. The basic upgrades are heads, camshaft, intake, more cubes....no power adders... no nitrous....no coil on plug ignition modifications. Even in those situations the microsquirt can handle them with a proper tuner.

My car is a built 331 with a turbo and I dream of coil on plug ignitions and the smoothness of actual sequential fuel injection. On a street car a bunch of the ms3 stuff would hardly ever be used. Microsquirt is the simpler of the 3...and easier on the wallet.

Well, the Micro is ordered. I have months before I get to try it out. But that gives me time to research programs and numbers and ask more questions about using it more effectively. Thanks for the help folks.

The two programs I suggest are TunerStudio and MegaLogViewer. Both are free for the basic software but I suggest getting the paid version of TS. You can get the free versions and it will allow you to download the tune files and datalog files from the digital tuning forum we post. This way you can begin to become familiar with the software

Reactions: 1 users
The two programs I suggest are TunerStudio and MegaLogViewer. Both are free for the basic software but I suggest getting the paid version of TS. You can get the free versions and it will allow you to download the tune files and datalog files from the digital tuning forum we post. This way you can begin to become familiar with the software

Thanks. I just ordered TunerStudio MS based on your suggestion.

Fuel rails and injectors folks. Yes....there is a formula. GOT IT. But I am stuck between 36 and 42....thinking 42. Also, what fuel rails are people running with? I have the Trick Flow intake (Upper and lower) which may or may not matter.

The builder has me at 1.3 - 1.5 hp per cubic inch. So that's the expected HP numbers.

MS does not care what's on the other end... I run lu47 injectors from a gt500, coil packs from a 4.6l grand marquis, a supercharger off a jaguar and a MAF sensor from an Lightning. Oh and random sensors from whatever in the junkyard.

@Driver460sz I figured a post in here would do you more good since the chat tends to clear itself after a period of time.
from your posting I am making a guess that you are having a tough time organizing your thoughts to what KPA values are.
1" of mercury pulls roughly 3KPA..... we of course have to remove that from the atmospheric presure [100kpa]
so 10inhg=67kpa
12inhg=60kpa
14inhg=53kpa
16inhg=46kpa
18inhg=39kpa
WOT= 98-100kpa

If you need help setting the tables up or help with using the software once the car is running i do offer tuning classes

@Driver460sz I figured a post in here would do you more good since the chat tends to clear itself after a period of time.
from your posting I am making a guess that you are having a tough time organizing your thoughts to what KPA values are.
1" of mercury pulls roughly 3KPA..... we of course have to remove that from the atmospheric presure [100kpa]
so 10inhg=67kpa
12inhg=60kpa
14inhg=53kpa
16inhg=46kpa
18inhg=39kpa
WOT= 98-100kpa

If you need help setting the tables up or help with using the software once the car is running i do offer tuning classes

Thanks. Getting my car and motor in two weeks from today. Thinking I will plug the MS into the existing setup to play with it as I know the car is up and running just fine. This will allow me to play with it while not being at a zero start. Then at any time I can pull the 302 for the new motor and start with at least some practice.