86 Vert - Installing Eibachs & Have Steering Rack ?

MattLag

Jan 31, 2002
Chicago, IL
I have 3 of the 4 springs on the car - only one left is the front driver's side.

I am using the OTC tool to compress spring and then taking out 2 bolts from A Arm into the K Member. On the 86, the LCA bolt will hit the steering rack if I try to get it out. For those who have done this before, would you recommend taking out the whole steering rack or will loosing it up be enough to clear?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I removed the ball joint end when i done mine u should do that unless u are changing bushings but there is only a few bolts to remove the steering rack so :shrug:

my bolts clear the rack though but i have a 93 so maybe the 86 was different:shrug:

No need to remove the rack, you will have to take the bolts out holding it and pry it out some to get them to clear, if you use the hose clamp trick on the front coils each side can be done in 20 min or so, no need in taking out the a arm bolts

only one left is the front driver's side.
Don't you love that bolt and it's location? NOT! :)

Yea, most people don't realize the differences between the different years. :)

When I did my '86, I got so much incorrect advice/information, it was amazing.

FWIW: The pre '87's have a shorter k-frame. That means that the FCA mounting points are moved inward. That means the the front driver's side FCA bolt will not come out with the rack installed. Sorry, not in this reality, it won't. Well, that's assuming the bolt is stock in in it's stock orientation. :)

Living in New England, 3 out of the 4 FCA bolts had to be cut out. Of course, the one bolt that didn't have to be cut required that I move/drop the rack. Figures, huh! :)

When you install that FCA bolt, I suggest you do what I did.
o First, put the nut on the bolt.
o Cut the bolt "as needed".
o Install the front bolt so that the head is inwards and the nut is next to the rack.

That way, you never have to drop the rack again to take out that bolt. Be careful about the bolt length. If it's too long, it'll hit the rack. If it's too short, the nut won't be grabbing all threads. It only takes 1-3 cuts. The cuts are quick to do. So, only cut a little each time.

I think I had to pull the rack all of the way off it's mounting studs to remove the bolt. Sorry, I forget. I do remember that I had to loosen the "rag joint".

Good Luck!