Engine 87 5.0 head gasket

Hoots5.0

May 8, 2020
USA
I'm going to be changing the head gasket. I am looking for suggestions on what else I should change out while doing this? I would like to wake the engine up a little. It's a stock engine with 94k on it. Thoughts on AC delete, under drive pulleys, electric fan? please help. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Well the most logical answer to your question would be the heads! They're expensive though so that would depend on how much money you want to spend. You will pick up power from all the mods you listed. I did all three mods to my car and noticed a difference. Upper and lower intake would also make sense since you are right there.

Reactions: 1 user
Taking off the AC system will gain you nothing except the fact that you would be hot on hot days and will effect the value of the car. Underdrive pullies....never been a fan. Some have luck with them, I never did. Always caused overheating problems and charging issues for me. If you have not done anything to your car, and it is truly stock as you say I would suggest shorty headers, a good exhaust for starters. If funds allow since you are changing the head gasket anyway a good set of aluminum heads, cam and intake.

Chris

Reactions: 1 users
The problem with these old Fox 302's is literally everything is a restriction on them. You really won't see a whole lot of benefit from changing just one or two small parts at a time. The real benefit is changing several in combination to get the best bang for the buck.

If money allows, this is the ideal time to change heads, since you'll have the car torn down that far anyway. Your future plans for the car are going to really determine how to pick the head. If its just going to be a basic bolt on, N/A boulevard cruiser, then most entry level heads will do the trick. If you're going to get aggressive with modification later on down the road, then you head choice should be on the more aggressive side as well.

Knowing this, along with what other things the car might already have done to it (since finding a stock one is pretty rare now a days) should be your first step.

Warning....these cars WILL suck your wallet dry if you let them!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users