'87 Coupe Going Under The Knife... Looking For A Good Forum

Meh to each their own. I have disagree with the dead body part tho. I mean if you needed a heart transplant and it came from a Chevy owner....better than not being alive. Oh what about the brain...megasquirt it

I mean an LS motor is just a glorified Windsor with EDIS anyways, heck if we had stock heads that flowed like stock LS heads. Then mod motors wouldn't of needed to be put in our cars in the first place.

Actually...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/message/1321247401/LS7+Expose'

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

"Sigh" i wish we had a sarcasm front.

I was referring to the old wise tale of the similarities of the block and heads. Another quick google click copy and paste will bring up 100s of debates on what i was specifically speaking of.

I digress on to your article quote a forum. There's a reason Kaase uses Cleveland heads in the engine masters and why chevy took notes on the LS7 head.

All this Cleveland talk is making miss my 88 gt with those $800 headers to fit that sum bitch in there.

....I'll stop derailing now.

I missed the part where transplant was necessary?

If it's destined for the track, I have no bones. That car is as good as dead already. Cheap and Fast is the prescription. Whatever parts are at your disposal can be tossed in with enough power to put it into the wall. No loss. Just don't try to tell me that the reason it was done was, "Er wanna beh differnt then all them other redneks". Same :poo:, different blender.

If however you bought the Mustang because well... Mustang; That's another story. In this story, we appreciate it because it's a Mustang. I like old luxury cars too (some) and I prefer that those come with their associated accouterments as well. Drop an (insert abomination here) into it and ceases (for me at least) to be Mustang. Here's the weird part: Dropping anything other than a Windsor in there doesn't really float my boat either although I can certainly appreciate a Coyote swap to some extent.

To re-iterate, I can certainly appreciate a project like tanner's. It's effort and attention to detail and hopefully, a stable and well running street monster when it's done. Is he building a Mustang? No more than your Gila Monster is Fairmont... Futura.... Fox... Ford. :crazy:

Oh... and it needs machine guns. :D

It's probably more a soul kind of thing for me. I don't really like the thought of my dead body being used by a needful recipient either. :ack:

The transplant wasn't " necessary". Where was it that I said it was?
I said that way more 67-68 notches have been allowed to fail, sit, rot, and die simply because they are notches.
If somebody was to take that car, and cut the floor out of it, and Fred Flintmotor it, it'll serve a better purpose than being allowed to go to the crusher. ( personally, I think they're ugly. I'd let the ugly assed thing get turned into scrap)
Just like there are guys like me that have it in for a Futura, there are those out there that think a mustang notch is a thing of beauty,...and like I said earlier, if you set out to build a street/custom/race car and plan to either make it different, ( like me) or you just happen to have a non- ford power plant sitting in the corner,......who cares? you're hotrodding,...

Reactions: 1 users
I said that way more 67-68 notches have been allowed to fail, sit, rot, and die simply because they are notches.

I still don't see the problem with dropping a Ford motor into this. :shrug:

If I have an LS/LT lying around, I might consider a Nova or worse.

Honestly, you appear to have a lot more problem with NOT swapping the motor out than I do with folks that do. :shrug: I don't just hang around your thread because of your charming personality. I hang around cuz I like the work you do/did/etc.. I have to admit that I like it even more because it was originally a Ford motor (it's cool if you like it for other reasons).

Were it my car (regardless of make) seriously, I can't think of an American car manufacturer that hasn't made a kick-ass motor at some point, for any car that I would want to drive.

I STILL want to do a high cube, high compression, solid lifter, EFI build in a small block (perhaps even a 351 block). Been done before? Oh hell yeah. By me? Nope... I've boosted everything my wife would let me put hands on.

Yeah yeah,...and for every ford guy that makes a claim that an LS 7 head was inspired from a 351c4bbl head, there is another bunch of bow tie wearin goobers just itching to point out that a Cleveland head was a plagerized BBC head.

A Cleveland head, has always been " less than" if you've ever seen what had to be done by the race teams that used it to get it to flow properly. Intake Port velocity at low RPM's has alway been a problem w/drive ability issues The exhaust port as cast was even a bigger problem? First thing offered by the aftermarket to address the flow problems were plates fitted between the headers and the mating surface that had tongues that attempted to raise the floor of the exhaust port floor. The Gliddens of the world just welded the port floor to the point of allowing them to re- contour the exhaust port higher. Aftermarket versions of that head look nothing like the stocker.
I can't believe any mfg would copy that head when it had so many of its own problems as designed by ford.

I still don't see the problem with dropping a Ford motor into this. :shrug:

If I have an LS/LT lying around, I might consider a Nova or worse.

Honestly, you appear to have a lot more problem with NOT swapping the motor out than I do with folks that do. :shrug: I don't just hang around your thread because of your charming personality. I hang around cuz I like the work you do/did/etc.. I have to admit that I like it even more because it was originally a Ford motor (it's cool if you like it for other reasons).

Were it my car (regardless of make) seriously, I can't think of an American car manufacturer that hasn't made a kick-ass motor at some point, for any car that I would want to drive.

I STILL want to do a high cube, high compression, solid lifter, EFI build in a small block (perhaps even a 351 block). Been done before? Oh hell yeah. By me? Nope... I've boosted everything my wife would let me put hands on.
Oh cmon now Noobz...is this the ruffled feather version of you? It certainly was not my intention to do so, and I am sorry if I pushed a little too hard, my meds were probably wearing off, and I was a little more abrasive than my normal 36 grit. (I just sort of figured you could stand toe to toe with me when I'm on a rant).;)

IMO,.....All cars are fair game for a swap excepting those that garner "classic" status. On one hand, I would vehemently condemn that car if that was a FB, and it had a jap car motor,...But,..what else is fair game?
Is a Coyote ok? Eco boost?.....that Aussie Barra that I think is the sht?...They're all Ford engines after all.

I guess I've gotten past the " Blue bleeder" stage,...I care more about the diversity than conformity in this hobby,..
I don't require that the car be swapped to make it cool,..I just think that it goes w/ the hobby..Back in the day, more than a few ford flat head V8's found their way into non-ford bodies.....it's what you had to do if you expected to keep up.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh cmon now Noobz...is this the ruffled feather version of you?

Um... no. Not sure how you got that idea.

All cars are fair game for a swap excepting those that garner "classic" status.

My 86 is 30 years old. :shrug:

I On one hand, I would vehemently condemn that car if that was a FB, and it had a jap car motor,...But,..what else is fair game?
Is a Coyote ok? Eco boost?.....that Aussie Barra that I think is the sht?...They're all Ford engines after all.

It's all, "ok". It's just not something I'd ever set out to do. If I'd set out build or rebuild a Mustang, I'd probably do just that. Even if I had a LS motor sitting the garage I'd probably trade it or sell it in order to get my hands on a period correct block. Let's say I'd decided I wanted to make nice weekend cruiser. You know, one stocked with status and a silky smooth flip-down top. I'd probably put together and S-197 GTSC with a 3 valve or Coyote. --or-- Some vert GM. I just wouldn't prefer to have a Ford small block powering it.

Oh cmon now Noobz...is this the ruffled feather version of you? It certainly was not my intention to do so, and I am sorry if I pushed a little too hard, my meds were probably wearing off, and I was a little more abrasive than my normal 36 grit. (I just sort of figured you could stand toe to toe with me when I'm on a rant).;)

IMO,.....All cars are fair game for a swap excepting those that garner "classic" status. On one hand, I would vehemently condemn that car if that was a FB, and it had a jap car motor,...But,..what else is fair game?

I guess I've gotten past the " Blue bleeder" stage,...I care more about the diversity than conformity in this hobby,..
I don't require that the car be swapped to make it cool,..I just think that it goes w/ the hobby..Back in the day, more than a few ford flat head V8's found their way into non-ford bodies.....it's what you had to do if you expected to keep up.
I am pretty much a bleed Ford Blue guy, but I am also a realist. There is not a Ford automatic transmission made that can take the power and torque of a purpose built Glide. The Glide is lighter, stronger and consumes less HP than anything that can be done with a Ford trans.....without blowing up every third pass. Because of those reasons I was "forced" to build a Glide for the drag car. That being said, I stayed with "Ford" power for the rest of the build. And the Ford being bracketed by " " is because, truth be told, there is not one single part of my "Ford" engine built by, manufactured by or otherwise related to, outside of architecture, Ford. That being said, the Glide does not have single GM part in, on or around it either. But when you look under the hood, it sure looks like a SBF...outside of all the custom stuff with the supercharger going on that pretty much dominates the scene. :cool:

I wouldn't touch this with an LS motor (or any other) either. hehe

View: https://youtu.be/ItLJoKTfWPw

Agreed...but the other problem is none of us would even be able to touch it.:(

Bout the closest is to make it plasti-dipped like it
IMG_6805.jpg

I wouldn't touch this with an LS motor (or any other) either. hehe

View: https://youtu.be/ItLJoKTfWPw

For internet "car guys", folks who are fairly new to the DIY scene, and also the people who keep a copy of their dyno in the glove box:

That video is a perfect example of what it's like between two cars 300 HP apart when one of them is a dyno-queen with a HUGE ass and the other one that gets and sits on the 400 HP portion of his power curve nearly the entire way through the gears.

He wasn't kidding about the 400 either. Anyone catch the 42 lb injectors?

It's impossible to get the same wait balance in a Fox but I'd like to get as close to this is possible on a Fox without structural changes.

Anyone know if there are HP limited mile or two mile runs somewhere?

Lol, you'll calm the natives with that news.

What might be your plans for the engine?

520 inches. 0.030 over, 4.300 crank, aluminum heads, big solid roller, 10-10.5:1 so I can stay on pump gas, and a little nitrous. It'll put my fox in the 9's easier with the extra inches.

I'll be porting the heads myself, getting flow tested locally. I'm conservatively looking at 450cfm on the intake. It'll make my power. I'm stoked. Most importantly, I can push it back a bit further in the engine bay without cutting the firewall. All good things in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Ha! That reminded me of my BBF powered Fairmont....I only had the engine mounted with a front plate I had the engine so close to the firewall, it would hit the firewall (audibly) Everytime I'd launch the car.
Made a pleasing "Thunk" noise.

Yeah yeah,...and for every ford guy that makes a claim that an LS 7 head was inspired from a 351c4bbl head, there is another bunch of bow tie wearin goobers just itching to point out that a Cleveland head was a plagerized BBC head.

My original comment wasn't meant to be taken literally. If any particular engine component has a slight advantage you can guarantee that engineers for the competition are going to try to incorporate that into their next version if they can. I once watched two engineers try to mate a P&W engine to a GE gearbox in order to bid on a contract.