87 GT Headlight switch wiring help needed

djmadness

15 Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
I am having issues with my instrument cluster and gauges when I turn on my headlights...They go wacky. This is a car I am building for a daily driver so I want things done right. In keeping with that I bought a new (used in exc) 140 MPH Speedo cluster out of an 89 GT, a new dimmer switch, and a new Headlight switch. I also lucked out and bought a KLM Wiring diagram for the 87 GT.

I pulled the instrument cluster and dash so I could get a good view of whats going on. At some point there was an aftermarket alarm on the car so I thought there might be some wiring issues. Well when I pulled the Headlight Switch and looked at the wiring, this is what I have:

wiring.jpg

According to the schematics I have the above is all correct except for the wiring to I should be light blue/brown instead of just light blue and I have 2 wires that are coming from the harness that are not connected to anything. 1 is Light Blue/Black and the other is Brown/red. These wires must have gone somewhere on this light switch as they are in the same group of wires as the headlight wires and they still have the factory winding/taping around them.

Actually the Light Blue/Black is spliced to the (H) red/yellow wire.

Thanks in Advance

If anyone has a clue as to what the correct wiring is to these pins I have labeled i would greatly appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

well the cluster should just go together on the new one like you took the old one out, same with everythign else

I am having issues only when I turn the headlight switch on so how is that going to fix it? The headlight switch is OK I am just replacing it while I have everything torn down. Plugging a new headlight switch back in to the existing wiring is just going to cause a continuation of my present problems.

I am asking for help regarding the correct pin-out wiring so anyone that has an 87-89 mustang gt that can tell me what their wiring is would help me. i have seen the various diagrams on the net and they dont list wires by pin-outs

SEE http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/foglights.html to fix the problem. The stock wiring isn't up to the job and is overheating. The headlight switch & turn/multifunction switch are affected by Ford's wiring problem. Sometimes it overheats so badly that the plastic shells of the wiring connectors start to melt. This will show you how to add a relay to the fog lights to relieve the overload on the headlight wiring.

Here is the headlight switch wiring for an 89 GT.

attachment.php

Attachments

• headlight switch wiring.GIF
    headlight switch wiring.GIF
    16.4 KB · Views: 10,082