87 Into 92 Mustang Gt Steering Column Swap Help

NickMustangLover

Aug 23, 2015
I'm trying to install an 87 mustang gt steering column into my 92 mustang gt.. But the thick silver bracket doesn't line up with the bolts, under the dash that point down from the brake/clutch pedal metal bracket.

SO there's 4 bolts that hold the column under the dash. I'm having an issue with the 2 toward the back. I installed the bolt that attaches the steering column to the steering shaft, but the thick silver bracket on the 87 column isnt lining up with the bolts, even if i pull on it. Is this normal? Because everything I've seen so far, says that it's a direct fit. Why isn't mine lining up?

Any info would be great, thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

There are 2 brackets on the steering columns. 2 bolts go through each bracket, one on each side. I've seen some people say the column is extendable by standing on the steering wheel, putting something through the end hole for the steering linkage bolt, and tapping it upward with a hammer. I'm not sure if this is true. I know there are at least 2 bearings in the column. 1 at the front, near the steering wheel, and 1 at the end of the column.

I've seen plenty of people say they've done it, but it's not as simple as everyone claims it is. At least not for me. There is about a 1 inch difference in the heights of the 92 and 87 steering columns when i lay them on the floor, steering wheel side down.

Is the inner column really 'extendable'? It attaches to the steering wheel, so I don't see how it could possibly be extendable if the inner shaft is just 1 piece. But I'm not sure if the inner shaft is 1 or more pieces. Someone must know something..

The inner column did come out, problem solved. Installed. Now working on the wiring for the horn/cruise control.
The 92 schematic says Green/Yellow wire is the horn, Black is ground, and Light Blue/Black is the cruise control.
Now I gotta find out which ones are which on the 87 steering column.

I'm curious about a column swap as well, but i'm concerned about the airbag. I have a 90 gt convertible and it was the first year without tilt because they used an airbag. I would like a tilt column and an aftermarket wheel but am not sure if it will be more hassle then it is worth and if it will affect anything else. Also not sure about the legal ramifications if i were to resale etc. Have you researched this?