Engine 87 Mustang Gt Cooling Tips

Hey Everyone so I have read through a few forums but they were mostly dealing with stock 5.0's, for the most part my vehicle is running hot while sitting in traffic. I am looking for advice on what can be done to cool it off, the max temp I have seen while driving is 230F when she gets that hot she idles around 1500 RPM's. Here is what is done to the vehicle.
347 ci Stroke kit
full Roller motor
Edelbrock Aluminium Heads
Bored forged bottom end
Holly Injection
Holly Intake and Plentum
Trickflow 75mm throttle body
Cold air intake with air filter in wheel well.
Mishimoto aluminum radiator (No leaks no air holes) with Dual Ele fans
And
Flowmaster Exhaust

any suggestions would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

In general, running hot at idle or in traffic is a bad water pump, bad thermostat, air in the system or fan issue. If running hot at highway speed is an airflow problem- bad/clogged radiator, missing air dam

how much cfm are the fans pulling
any air in the system
when is the last time you changed the coolant
underdrive pulleys?

Reactions: 1 user
Tomorrow I will be able to tell you how much the fans are pulling in, when I start the car they start up and seem to be running really good. I will check the gauge and get back to you, I just recently changed the radiator fluid about a week ago, and my under drive pulleys are all new. I mean it is hot here in Vegas and I have no A/C so no A/C is running to heat things up. This just may not be a problem I can fix, might take it in a few days and see what my mechanic says. As long as the car is moving temperature drops pretty quick but the stopping at red lights and going she just doesnt like for long periods of time. Highway no problem not hitting red lights not a problem, and the first few hours of driving her is not a problem, only when I have her out for a good period of time and the day gets hotter.

I agree with mikestang63 do you have a fan shroud to space fans? a 2500cfm fan will only pull 1000cfm (made up numbers) if there flush against the radiator. shroud helped my low speed/stopped temps drop dramatically pulled way more air with shroud night/day

Tomorrow I will be able to tell you how much the fans are pulling in, when I start the car they start up and seem to be running really good. I will check the gauge and get back to you, I just recently changed the radiator fluid about a week ago, and my under drive pulleys are all new. I mean it is hot here in Vegas and I have no A/C so no A/C is running to heat things up. This just may not be a problem I can fix, might take it in a few days and see what my mechanic says. As long as the car is moving temperature drops pretty quick but the stopping at red lights and going she just doesnt like for long periods of time. Highway no problem not hitting red lights not a problem, and the first few hours of driving her is not a problem, only when I have her out for a good period of time and the day gets hotter.

get rid of the u/d water pump pulley. It is not worth the 3hp to slow down your water pump 15-20%. That and your fans are probabliy not pulling enough air

Reactions: 1 user
If you look on american muscle it has the exact setup that I have on my car with the radiator and dual core fans, the fans have a plate that they are on that bolt up to to the radiator.so if that is to close I guess i need to look up how to move them back with a shroud. If you need a picture of it I can also do this as well.

The fans that come with that radiator DO NOT flow enough cfm to keep it cool. I went through this a few years ago. The radiator is fine, just ditch the fans and get something in the 3000+ cfm range.

Joe

Hey Mike I havent herd good things about the Black Magic extreme, well reviews I have read havent been great.and when you say I need a controller you mean a switch that I can turn on?

The Extreme is a good fan- that is the one that pulls 3000cfm. You must mean the lower quality and cfm base black magic fan, that yes, is a POS. It is also sold as ProForm.

Controller- you want to have the fan set up to come on based on the temperature, not with a toggle switch. A variable or "soft touch' controller starts the fan on at 60% so it is not spiking the system. I recommend the Flex a Lite 33054 controller. Other guys use Volvo relays with a BMW temp sending unit, and others use a DCC controller- but the DCC takes weeks to get. The Extreme fan comes with it;s own controller similar to the 33054 unit.