88’ Bronco efi 351w

Hey all, I decided to go with a 351w from a 88’ Bronco. I was originally going to stroke the original 302 to a 347, but I know the block is limited to 500hp. I was wondering if the 351w is a good block? I know I will need to use retrofit rollers since it’s not a roller block, and also am planning on going carburated . What mods will I need to do to make it work?Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If the car is Naturally Aspirated (which i'll assume since you are using a carb), block strength isn't much of an issue.
Maybe if you want more rpm that's about it.
You would be hard pressed to cross 500rwhp on any block all motor.

The 351 is a perfectly fine block, but i think you should consider if it's worth the extra effort(and money) if you are running a carb with no power adder.

Thanks for the reply. The thing is I’m putting it in a 88’ speed density vehicle. I have all the items to convert to Mass Air ( 30lb setup) just don’t want to stroke the motor and then want more power after a bit. If I go carbureted does that mean I can’t add power adders( turbo, supercharger) down the line? Sorry I’m relatively new to this. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The thing is I’m putting it in a 88’ speed density vehicle. I have all the items to convert to Mass Air ( 30lb setup) just don’t want to stroke the motor and then want more power after a bit. If I go carbureted does that mean I can’t add power adders( turbo, supercharger) down the line? Sorry I’m relatively new to this. Thanks

To include the distributor and ignition system? Do you have the entire harness too?

Since this car is EFI i'd say hell no to converting to carb.
Single most devaluing modification.

Yes it makes the turbo or supercharger more difficult.

IMO, as someone new to this stuff, you are starting out with too much complexity on multiple levels.

First thing i would do with the current engine (assuming it runs), is convert it to mass air. Don't do anything else at the same time or you will never be able to trouble shoot.

I'd also consider a good hci setup afterwards. 300+rwhp is quite a bit more than people think in a car like this. Remember, it's only 3200lbs and has no type of fail safes.
What are the brakes, suspension and trans like on this car? All 3 should be addressed before a 351 swap, stroker or even any engine mods at all IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

IMO, as someone new to this stuff, you are starting out with too much complexity on multiple levels.

First thing i would do with the current engine (assuming it runs), is convert it to mass air. Don't do anything else at the same time or you will never be able to trouble shoot.

I'd also consider a good hci setup afterwards. 300+rwhp is quite a bit more than people think in a car like this. Remember, it's only 3200lbs and has no type of fail safes.
What are the brakes, suspension and trans like on this car? All 3 should be addressed before a 351 swap, stroker or even any engine mods at all IMO.

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the motor already and a buddy of mine is helping who knows a lot more than I do. The motor ran, the rear has all new suspension, 3:73 gears, new upper and lower control arms, that I will reinforce. I have new brakes for the front. Still a 4 stud car. What should I do as far as suspension in the front? (Caster camber plates, shocks, bushings? The tranny is a stock T5.