Engine 88 Fox starting issue

Kynettic

Apr 12, 2018
Arkansas
Run down of the car: 88 Mustang GT Hatch w/ sun roof; stock as far as I know besides the cold air intake (non MAF)

Had my car sit for about a week. Went to start it one morning backed out a bit, put it in drive and it died. Haven’t been able to get it started since. It’ll turn over and then instantly die. If you watch the video I have linked, I try to start it I’m able to rev it twice and it still dies. Changed the fuel pump relay, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. Spending a lot of money and it’s solving nothing. Was wanting to see if anyone knew or had a clue what it could be before I spent anymore. Fuel pressure reads 40 when I start the car. Coil gets spark too. Is my distributor rotor/cap bad? Bad spark plug wires? Or could my fuel pump be weak after starting the car? I have a video like I said I’ll link.

View: https://youtu.be/VKGU_uqegeQ

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Ben

• Sponsors (?)

On the first page of the 5.0 tech forum is a section tech/how to' thread look for the cranks but no start checklist, read through it and get familiar with the instructions and gather up the necessary tools, it will help you get it sorted out without wasting time and money, just go step by step and you'll be hitting the streets again. I'll even post a link for ya.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...start-checklist-fuel-injected-mustangs.787471
i t was put together by 'stangnet's favorite tool' and it works!

Actually, video shows it is starting but only runs for a second or two before dying. If it's the original fuel pump, it's 30 years old. Yes, it can read normal 40 psi when starting the car. Unfortunately, this will not "throw" any codes. You'll have to put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail & watch it continuously.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to bump a thread and for the ridiculously late reply. I just wanted to give an answer in case anyone ever reads this with the same issue. I fixed my issue, and have sold the car haha. In all seriousness I did end up fixing the problem. A wire in the column had been cut. If I remember correctly it was pink with a yellow stripe? Spliced back together all good, but sad to say a few months later I sold it.

Reactions: 1 user