Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

That is really awesome, are there any limitations in TS with the small touchscreen or does everything work just like on a laptop but smaller?
It all works the same as a laptop, so you can do away with the tuning laptop. You can now just tune from the dash display.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ran into some more issues with the power supply the relay that I was planning on using didn't work. I have 2/3's of it put together, but need to find another way to incorporate the off delay timer. I think I am going to build my own and tie in the other two prices. I think this is the best idea in the long run anyways.

Back to researching...

New updated programming for the power/shutdown process. I think I will have the screen turn off in 1 mintue of the ignition off, then shudown process in 20 minutes, finally power supply off in 30 minutes.

More updates to come as I will be buying the fuse block for inside the car. I will also be ordering the pieces for off delay timer. Once that is completed I will be getting the enclosure and potting compound.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been working on another project while researching the information needed to complete the power supply. I bought this from my dad that has been sitting for 5 years. It need quite a bit of cleaning to get it to a driving status. Just finished putting on the new plate front tires since they were dry rotten, and cleaned/shampooed the entire interior.

I am quite happy with how it came out and will be a great daily driver while to work on my main mustang.

So now for the pictures:

IMG_20180720_142735959_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20180720_143513580_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180720_143459177_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
WOW man she looks cherry! :nice: I gotta say I love the turbines too, brings me back to the 89 gt I had in high school!

You got another spare fox lying around that I can drive while mine continues to live in the shop? ;)

Ran into some more issues with the power supply the relay that I was planning on using didn't work. I have 2/3's of it put together, but need to find another way to incorporate the off delay timer. I think I am going to build my own and tie in the other two prices. I think this is the best idea in the long run anyways.

Back to researching...

New updated programming for the power/shutdown process. I think I will have the screen turn off in 1 mintue of the ignition off, then shudown process in 20 minutes, finally power supply off in 30 minutes.

More updates to come as I will be buying the fuse block for inside the car. I will also be ordering the pieces for off delay timer. Once that is completed I will be getting the enclosure and potting compound.

The delay timer is easy; use a CD4060B CMOS 14 stage binary counter/divider. Calculate the frequency and division to get a 10 minute delay and the next output up from it will be 20 minutes. Hold the reset input High so that the oscillator section of the 4060 counter doesn't start running until your are ready to start the shutdown process.

Last edited:
Well has been a month already....Where did the time go????

I have been driving the new DD, and it has been working out great. I does have a vibration at highway speeds above 60 mph that I still need to figure out. Cant tell if it is the transmission or bushing (transmission mount or crossmember). It vibrates the most on part throttle and goes mostly away when you let off the gas or WOT. Changes based on the type of road you are on too...Its weird.

I finally got in the timer that I needed to complete the power supply for the Digtial Dash. The plan is to program the timer to shutdown in 30 minutes after removal of ignition power. If this works as it should/advertised then I can proceed with putting together a test model. Plans for the test model is: confirm the timer shutdown again, output power supply to RPi is 5V, and the GPIO pin voltage is 3.3V. If all checks out, I should be able to use it on the Digital Dash, so I can test the last step the auto shutdown process. Once that is done it will be ready for final installation :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Since I have the new DD the red mustang has been parked in the garage. Once I have the garage cleaned up from house projects hopefuly this weekend it is going under the knife.

• Finish the transmission swap
  • Install the Microsquirt/TCU
  • Box in the radiator with aluminum sheeting over current setup
  • Regasket/paint the current 331
  • Install explorer intak
  • Paint the engine bay Satin Black
  • Update current wire tuck I did years ago
  • Address/tighten up the steering

So hopefully there will be lots of pictures soon, since as soon as the Digital Dash is ready for install I will be assembling the engine stand and hoist.

Big plans......

Reactions: 4 users
Well, I have another good update regarding the Digital Dash project in that I have been able to test the timer. Finally :banana::banana::banana::banana:

It works just as i have envisioned:
  1. Powers and stays on once the trigger is powered
  2. Power removed from trigger it starts the timer
  3. If power is reapplied to the trigger before the timer ends it resets ther timer again
  4. If power is NOT reapplied to the trigger the power supply turns off at the end of the timer
I will now put together all the components of the power supply to test its functionallity. Need to test again the timer, 5V output to the RPi, and the 3.3V sensing wire to the RPi (this will be used to trigger the shutdown process of the RPi). If/When all of these work together as planned I will be finished with the hardware aspect of the project, and can then move on to finalizing the software aspect.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, I have another good update regarding the Digital Dash project in that I have been able to test the timer. Finally :banana::banana::banana::banana:

It works just as i have envisioned:
  1. Powers and stays on once the trigger is powered
  2. Power removed from trigger it starts the timer
  3. If power is reapplied to the trigger before the timer ends it resets ther timer again
  4. If power is NOT reapplied to the trigger the power supply turns off at the end of the timer
I will now put together all the components of the power supply to test its functionallity. Need to test again the timer, 5V output to the RPi, and the 3.3V sensing wire to the RPi (this will be used to trigger the shutdown process of the RPi). If/When all of these work together as planned I will be finished with the hardware aspect of the project, and can then move on to finalizing the software aspect.

Then you will publish an instruction sheet, and a parts list, and make money off of it.

I got time to put together the final configuration of the power supply, and all I can say is it WORKS!!!!!!

:hail2:

The timer is working perfectly, the pin to the RPi works, and the output is coming out at 5V for the RPi.

I will testing this on the car next...

Reactions: 2 users
Got a little more progress done over the holiday weekend. Tested the mock power supply on the car, and everything tested out. I decided to hookup everything (power supply, computer and screen) to see if it all worked together. It all WORKED!!!!!!!! Computer started just as it was supposed to, and displayed the dashboard after the splash screen video.

So finally I have a working power supply and digital dash for the car. I still have a little additional work left todo, but the list is starting to get very small now.

Reactions: 3 users
Got some more time to work on some more of the dash including the script that with execute the shutdown of the RPi. Ran into a couple road blocks, but will be working through them this week. I also got the remaining peices needed for the power supply, so I will be finishing that as well once I get the script working the way I want.

Getting closer...

Update:

I have been able to get around the previous road blocks regarding the triggering of the shutdown script. I tested the new trigger and the script, and both of them are working perfectly. I need to order a couple parts today, so I can have them for this weekend. The goal is to build the final power supply and trigger, test it on the car one final time, and then epoxy it in the enclosure. This will be the end of the hardward aspect of the build.

I will then move on to the software aspect. The plan is to provide the ability to update/modify the delay of the shutdown script from the desktop, since this will go with the programmable power supply. I wanted to add the ability to increase or decrease the timing of the shutdown of the RPi and the Power Supply. I am also placing the location of the splash screen video on the desktip as well to provide a easy way to update/modify them as well. Lastly, I have just some minor clean-up of the OS itself.

I have placed a personal goal of end of month for this project, and can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally.

Reactions: 4 users
Small Update:

I got the last components ordered yesterday and got confirmation that they should be here tomorrow :banana::banana::banana:

While I am waiting on parts to arrive, I decided to test the additional coding I added to the script for the shutdown process. I have been able to successfully incorporate a way to modify/configure the default shutdown delay(s) without touching the script. I put the Timer Delay File on the desktop, so it's easy to make changes to it. Now I won't have to mess with the script anymore to increase/decrease these times, which will go well with the programmable power supply. Still looking at incorporating the ability to Turn On/Off the LCD screen, but have not gotten there yet.

I have gotten in the last two remaining items for the power supply in the mail yesterday. I will doing the prototype testing either tonight or tomorrow. After it passes I will be putting it in the enclosure for good. This will complete this part of the dash.

I also spent the last two nights finalizing the clean up of all the unnecessary programs, setting up my configuration screens (Delay Timers, Splashscreen Video, and Wallpapers) that can be accessed on both the Application/Menu Bars, and a shortcut to TunerStudio on both Application/Menu Bars. The shutdown script is also in place and enabled as well.

Slowly dotting my i's and crossing my t's. Keeping my fingers crossed that it should be all wrapped up this weekend.