Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

Maybe i asked this already.... but is there an lcd screen that is longer to fill the space more? or would that not work with the design?
I couldn't find one any wider as I did want one that was wider to fit the cluster better. I also wanted the better screen resolution to since most are 800x600. You can't go taller because it would not fit in the cluster

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I have been doing some more thinking on powering all the upgrades I am planning.

I am needing to power the:

1. Digital dash
2. Transmission control unit (Microsquirt)
3. Wideband O2

I was thinking of adding a small 6 or 10 panel fuse box to power all these items with extra for the future. This would protect all these items but also simplify the wiring by only needing to run one power wire from the solenoid to the inside of the car.

@a91what thoughts?

I did just this when I rewired the first time. I picked up a small 6 relay box that was fused as well. I did have to pin each wire and build the box out but I think it turned out very well. It is covered in my build thread, if you want i can try and find a link to the box i used.
20171026_122857.jpg
still unfinished in this pic.
20171018_202417.jpg
20171018_191005.jpg
the red insulated busbar is the 12v source for each relay, it is fed with battery power via 4g and each relay gets it's own fused load source. The 12v common for the relays was fused through one fuse and daisy chains to all relays.

I have been doing some more thinking on powering all the upgrades I am planning.

I am needing to power the:

1. Digital dash

2. Transmission control unit (Microsquirt)

3. Wideband O2

I was thinking of adding a small 6 or 10 panel fuse box to power all these items with extra for the future. This would protect all these items but also simplify the wiring by only needing to run one power wire from the solenoid to the inside of the car.

@a91what thoughts?

I added a little 6 fuse block underneath the dash to have separate fuses for the radio, cigarette lighter, spotlight, etc and it's worked out well so far. Definitely not as robust as @a91what box but not a bad simple option.
IMG_20160704_143241.jpg

That's not a bad idea but you definitely want your main power supply right off the battery for the sensitive electronic devices, I dont suggest feeding them from ignition power, grounding all of them commonly would be best as well.

That's not a bad idea but you definitely want your main power supply right off the battery for the sensitive electronic devices, I dont suggest feeding them from ignition power, grounding all of them commonly would be best as well.
Oh sorry I should have said I don't have it tapped into to the ignition, it runs to the battery directly and is fused there as well. I just wanted dedicated hots for stuff rather than using the factory circuits

I added a little 6 fuse block underneath the dash to have separate fuses for the radio, cigarette lighter, spotlight, etc and it's worked out well so far. Definitely not as robust as @a91what box but not a bad simple option.
IMG_20160704_143241.jpg
That is the exact same one I was looking on Amazon. I am just needing fused hot leads since I don't like the idea of running multiple hot lines inside the car. I much rather run one and use it to feed my other additions. This makes it nice that the factory is left alone.

The ignition feed are for items that are just used as triggers to turn on, so no worries of inconsistent powering.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, worked on the power supply for the digital dash yesterday. I have about 3/4's of it wired up: installed a micro USB plug on the OUT power converter, so I can plug it directly to the RPi and wired the relay to the IN of the power converter. Now just need to splice in the regulator to the trigger wire and add to a jumper wire end for plugging it into one of the GPIO pins of the RPi. Slowing making some forward process.

Another positive note is I finished the cleaning and shampooing of the carpets/seats of my other mustang. Just need to change the oil, the old back tires, and flush the brake fluid. It will then be ready to go back on the road again.

I did make a new tool for brake bleeding because of the Tool thread that has been going around. I got a brake fluid cap from the pull-a-parts, and installed a air compressor fitting on top with a washer and nut on the inside gooped in gasket maker for an air tight connection. My version of the Motive one-man brake bleeder. All I have to do is attach the air hose to the top and turn the pressure up to like 5 psi and open the bleeder.

Reactions: 2 users
I really like the bottom one although I would have to use it to see if I could live with the sliding rpm gauge. it has all the pertinent info and uses the entire screen... only having a 7" screen to work with using all of It will be important.

I really like the bottom one although I would have to use it to see if I could live with the sliding rpm gauge. it has all the pertinent info and uses the entire screen... only having a 7" screen to work with using all of It will be important.
I have been driving with that one in the car, which is my latest one I built. I like the sliding RPM gauge, but are not a fan of the dashes. I would like it to be a solid line, and have an email into EFIAnalytics to see if there is a way to modify the .gauge file in there directory.

I have been driving with that one in the car, which is my latest one I built. I like the sliding RPM gauge, but are not a fan of the dashes. I would like it to be a solid line, and have an email into EFIAnalytics to see if there is a way to modify the .gauge file in there directory.
I'm sure there is, people alter the .ini files all the time. After that you just have to figure out what part you need to alter. :O_o:

I'm sure there is, people alter the .ini files all the time. After that you just have to figure out what part you need to alter. :O_o:
Im pretty sure there is a way as well. It isn't in the . ini as that is all the settings for the Output Channel gauges and not the physical gauge itself. The gauge definition file is in the C:/x86 Program Files/EFIAnalytics as a .gauge file. I am just not sure which line needs to be modified to remove the dashes, but I guess its like anything else I do trail-n-error

Finished the mock-up wiring of the power supply. It is ready to move on now.

Next Steps:
1. Programming of the relay to turn off in 30 minutes
2. Testing phase:
- Check the voltage on the jumper wire that will go to the GPIO pin
- Check to see if it powers on the RPi
3. Start the script writing process for the auto shutdown process

Last edited:
I did get away to my garage for a little bit over my vacation (ie: staycation since I stayed home) I had last week. The house projects that I was working on took at LOT longer than I was expecting, but more importantly the heat just killed you. I accomplished the main task that I wanted over my time off, which was installing my steering wheel with the paddle shifters. The paddle shifters of course are not operational just yet, but everything is ready to go for them.

This project took longer than expected due to some issues with the adapters I was using. The Grant Hub that was on the car originally needed to be replaced due to the mounting holes being trashed. The new hub the slip ring had one of the wires to close to the feed-through hole, so needed to desolder the wire and redrill/solder for the new hole. Then drilled the two bottom holes in my 3 bolt to 5 bolt adapter for the paddle shifter wiring to pass through. I installed the new hub assembly on the steering column and mounted the new steering wheel.

Drove the car to work today with the new setup and love it. Can't wait to get the dashboard finished up and get the transmission and TCU to start tuning again.

IMG_20180623_105037217~2.jpg
IMG_20180623_110821944.jpg
IMG_20180623_105057497~2.jpg
IMG_20180624_193505160.jpg
IMG_20180624_195007113~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Update:

I worked on the testing of the power supply last weekend, but ran into an issue configuring the relay. I found I needed another component, so that has been ordered. Also realized that I should have configured the relay first then loosely assembled the other components for testing. Good thing I learned this now for when my parts show up.

In the meantime, I decided to work on another dashboard display. Still haven't made up my mind on which one I like the most. TunerStudio did add some new features like being able to swipe from multiple dashboards. This is a really cool feature that I can use on my digital dashboard.

Dashboard 4.JPG

Reactions: 4 users