Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

Are you supercharged or turbo'd? If not then I don't think you need gauges for boost or MAT's. Not even sure TPS is all that important to know either. Just my $.02 since you're going with an auto trans and want to do track days and AutoX i'd stick with trans temp, oil temp, coolant temp, rpm, speed, voltage, fuel.

Not currently boosted, but will be in the very near future. The plans are to go turbo with a water meth injection to keep temps at bay.

I currently don't have oil temp, but maybe a good idea to add it. I do have the others coolant temp, air temp, and trans temp. I like the idea of taking the TPS and spark readings off, since they are used more for tuning purposes than dashboard.

• Sponsors (?)

No update as of yet. I did make the couple changes to dashboard based on @FoxMustangLvr feedback he gave me, and removed the TPS and Spark gauges from the dash. Then spread out the icon/gauges, so its not as crowded/busy.

I will wait to show the current dash until I get it on the instrument cluster screen to see how much tweaking I have to do due to the resolution of the screen differences. I should be testing the instrument cluster in the car tomorrow night to see if it connects to the MS in the car. Fingers crossed, that it just connects without any issues. Then I can move on to the next steps of setting up the boot splash screen, and removing the issue of the screen not being noticed for the first 5-7 secs of bootup. I think I need to disable the default lcd screen option (uses the ribbon cable option), and force it to display through the hdmi port that the screen is using. I have no idea if this will work, but we will see.

Well tonight was interesting with the digital dash that it took a little bit of :bang: and then doing some of :thinking:to get past some issues I ran into. I was working on the boot-up process and found out there is an issue with the computer not autostarting in the correct location, so it boots twice. Not very good when you are trying to speed up the starting process. I was able download a corrected file to address this issues. It took my boot times for 42 sec to 35 sec currently. Not sure if I can get it any faster, but still need to work getting the splash screen to play my video at startup not at the end. Or maybe I will just change to shorter video. Not really sure just yet. Decisions decisions...

Here is the current dashboard display on the dash screen. It's much better than the first one as you can read it.

IMG_20180223_232335740~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
VICTORY!!!!!!!
:hail2:

It works!!!! After some additional setup of the splash screen configuration, which was a pain in the a$$. There was a lot of googling and testing and failing more googling and testing again and failing some more, but was able to finally understand how to setup it up to run a video on boot. Sounds easy but wow confusing.

I plugged the digital dash into the engines MS. I went to the Communication Settings and detected the USB adaptor, and it worked. Saved the setting and rebooted it and connected flawlessly.

I took a video of it, but wasn't sure if anyone cared to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have one more item left for the digital dash to be done, which is installing the turn signals.

I will then be able to put it on the shelf and move on to the next step of the steering wheel/paddle shifters then the transmission /MS controller.

Need some help...
I have been going back and forth of installing the plastic front cover on the dash or just leaving it off. I will not be using the touchscreen, so I could cover it.

Hummm.... What are your thoughts?

I have one more item left for the digital dash to be done, which is installing the turn signals.

I will then be able to put it on the shelf and move on to the next step of the steering wheel/paddle shifters then the transmission /MS controller.

Need some help...
I have been going back and forth of installing the plastic front cover on the dash or just leaving it off. I will not be using the touchscreen, so I could cover it.

Hummm.... What are your thoughts?
I would have to see it both ways to decide to be honest. I'm leaning toward keeping the cover on. Thank you for the video, cool factor and the functionality of this screen is a 10/10!!

Great screen !!!!

If you had to pout them together in a kit... how much would someone have to donate to your project fund ?

This is a great idea. I guess anyone could read this thread and follow what you've done. I'm not really computer savvy so i hope you give us some detailed step buy step instructions of how you got that thing to work.

I would have to see it both ways to decide to be honest. I'm leaning toward keeping the cover on. Thank you for the video, cool factor and the functionality of this screen is a 10/10!!
I have been leaning more towards putting the cover on it as well. I will take pictures of it both ways and go from there.

That is awesome.

Is there an odometer? No inspection needs for you to have one?

There will be an odometer added to the dash with a trip meter as well. I just don't have that on the dash yet due to not having the TCU (transmission control unit) MS bought/setup yet.
I also don't have inspections or emissions in my neck of the woods either ;)

Great screen !!!!

If you had to pout them together in a kit... how much would someone have to donate to your project fund ?

This is a great idea. I guess anyone could read this thread and follow what you've done. I'm not really computer savvy so i hope you give us some detailed step buy step instructions of how you got that thing to work.
I am putting together a step-by-step guide for being able to do this as @a91what already said he wanted to commission me to do this.

I was thinking of having available the option to just "donate" to the project fund a pre-setup SD Card, so it would be just plug and play. If you are looking for the entire LCD screen setup and all, then we can talk about that as well. Depends if people are interested.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this the full TS that you are running then? In other words, can you use that dash as your monitor, carry a portable keyboard, and make tuning changes directly?
Yes, this is a full copy of TunerStudio running on the computer. Yes again, you can use the dash as a monitor, then use a wireless mouse and keyboard for tuning changes.

I will have a mini mouse in the glovebox, and also have a keyboard if needed for bigger changes.

Reactions: 1 users