Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

I'm actually pretty interested in this myself, but would probably run it as a supplemental dash, or mount it over the factory dash.

Do you have a parts list for the hardware? (or could you put one together in the future)

• Sponsors (?)

I'm actually pretty interested in this myself, but would probably run it as a supplemental dash, or mount it over the factory dash.

Do you have a parts list for the hardware? (or could you put one together in the future)
I was adding in the pieces to this thread as I was going along, but here is a consolidated list:
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
  • Class 10 SD Card – faster read/write speed the better
  • 7" HDMI LCD Screen
  • 3A Car Power Supply/Switch
  • Mounting material for LCD Screen in Instrument Cluster
  • Optional: Dash Panel Warning LED Indicator Lights

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, had a delay on finishing the dash cluster. I was going to install the last piece being the turn signals, but the HDMI plug is dead center of where I would like to put the right turn signal. I will be ordering a 90 degree HDMI adapter to correct this issue, but will wait until it comes in to make sure I put them in the right place the 1st time.

After this step, I will be moving on to the power supply and auto shutdown process. I plan on running this in the car all the time to verify it works the way I want. Then will final install it whenl I get to the point of installing the transmission in the car.

Debating the idea regasketing/painting the engine at the same time of the installation of the transmission, but not sure yet. Need to work on the steering wheel and paddle shifters first then worry about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No new progress just yet, but are about to purchase the missing pieces needed to get this moving again.

New items coming:
  • Steering Wheel
  • Steering Wheel Adaptor
  • Paddle Shifter Metal
  • 3/8" Hub-Centric Wheel Spacers
This should give me everything needed to complete the dash, so it can go in the car for testing. I can then also working the next step of the project being the steering wheel with paddle shifters.

The wheel spacers are from my previous project of brakes and front suspension. The SN197 wheels that I used are tucked under the fender a little to much, and touch the front control arm on full turn-in. I still may need to get rack limiters, but need these anyways to push them out a little bit making them flush with the fender like the rears.

Last edited:
Did some more research in getting ready for the installation of the new steering wheel and paddle shifters. I have been trying to find a way to use the cruise control wiring (been long gone) on the car instead of the horn wiring meaning that the car is already setup with the necessary extra pins I would need to wire to the paddle shifters. The issue that I was running into was the Grant Steering Wheel Installation Kit I am using only has provisions for the horn button ONLY. It is just a solid sheet of copper on the slip ring. Doing more research and talking to a rep at Grant, it seems I should be able to modify the slip ring to use one of the other pins from the cruise control wiring. What this entails is cutting a small circle groove in the slip ring and soldering another wire to utilize one of the cruise control pins. I am surprised that I haven't been able to find more people that have modified the slip rings for additional buttons.

I have a couple of the items ordered:

1. Steering Wheel
  2. Steering Wheel Adaptor

I went ahead and installed it on the LCD Screen. It looks like it will work out perfectly. I will do the drilling of the turn signals this weekend then. That should finish up the dash except for installing the plastic cover, but are not 100% sure on it yet.

Last edited:
The plexi cover would make it look great in my opinion. It may cause a flare from the screen though. I can't wait to try it out on my own.

Just wanted to say something instead of the normal thumbs up.

The plexi cover would make it look great in my opinion. It may cause a flare from the screen though. I can't wait to try it out on my own.

Just wanted to say something instead of the normal thumbs up.
I really do appreciate the feedback. It good to hear the positive feedback to keep you going. If you need help setting it up let me know or I can set it up for you. I think this is an awesome upgrade.

Once the power supply comes in I will be putting this in the car and driving with it in the passenger seat until I have the transmission in the car and tested the speedometer. I still need to purchase the gas signal conditioner and figure out the oil pressure gauge.

The list is getting smaller slowly. I have time this weekend, so hopefully can make some good progress. I am trying to finish the dash and steering wheel with paddle shifter bracket. I can then move on to the steering wheel installation kit and modifying the slip ring for the paddle shifter wiring.

The Dodge caravans and Chrysler town and countrys have electronic oil pressure sensors that are pretty precise. The 3.6L has a dumb oil cooler that sits under the intake. It has the oil filter canister at one end and the sensor at the other. It reads from 0 to over 100 psi.

Screenshot_20180312-221225.png
Screenshot_20180312-221155.png
Screenshot_20180312-221310.png

Our factory one could be used but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I just saw this on Mustang360, looks kind of like what you built. I wonder what they want for this ?
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...al-dash-packs-tons-of-info-in-a-tiny-package/
They look to be mimicking the Racepak design that has been out for years. I was planning on installing one of these in my car originally, but started the idea of installing a computer to run the tuning software with a LCD screen display. I just couldn't justify the $1,000 ($1,800 if you want datalogging) for it.

https://store.racepak.com/product/iq3s-street-dash/

The Dodge caravans and Chrysler town and countrys have electronic oil pressure sensors that are pretty precise. The 3.6L has a dumb oil cooler that sits under the intake. It has the oil filter canister at one end and the sensor at the other. It reads from 0 to over 100 psi.

Screenshot_20180312-221225.png
Screenshot_20180312-221155.png
Screenshot_20180312-221310.png

Our factory one could be used but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
Thank you! This is a lot sheaper than the AEM one I have been looking into: Amazon product ASIN B002NT7HK2View: https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-2131-100-PSIG-Brass-Sensor/dp/B002NT7HK2

@a91what Do you think these sensors are the same voltage range as most digital oil pressure sensors? 0V = 0 psi 4.5V = 100 psi

Last edited:
Thats hard to say... best way to test it would be to simply hook it up to a regulated air supply... take the reading at atmosphere [0psi] then at 50psi then at 100psi record your voltage readings and see if the sensor has a linear output. [it should]

Thats hard to say... best way to test it would be to simply hook it up to a regulated air supply... take the reading at atmosphere [0psi] then at 50psi then at 100psi record your voltage readings and see if the sensor has a linear output. [it should]
Smart idea

Question for you, could I just use the standard analog sensor and do the same testing and use one of the 2 ADC inputs for the oil pressure sensor?