Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

I got answers back from EFIAnalytics with the reason they believe is why my project wouldn't load in TunerStudio on the RPi. It is due to the communication driver setting set in the TunerStudio project I loaded from my tuning laptop. I use a FTDI serial to USB adapter for plugging in my tuning laptop to the MS computer. Since the RPi is a Linux-based operating system it doesn't support a FTDI type of driver, and I need to change the connection type to RS232 Serial Interface for it to work. They believe what is happening is when I try to open the project it is trying to load a driver that isn't supported so it errors our and freezes on me.

I will test this out by changing the connection type and backing up my project again to see if this fixes the issue.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I got answers back from EFIAnalytics with the reason they believe is why my project wouldn't load in TunerStudio on the RPi. It is due to the communication driver setting set in the TunerStudio project I loaded from my tuning laptop. I use a FTDI serial to USB adapter for plugging in my tuning laptop to the MS computer. Since the RPi is a Linux-based operating system it doesn't support a FTDI type of driver, and I need to change the connection type to RS232 Serial Interface for it to work. They believe what is happening is when I try to open the project it is trying to load a driver that isn't supported so it errors our and freezes on me.

I will test this out by changing the connection type and backing up my project again to see if this fixes the issue.
Ok......Uhm........Sure! That must be it!:scratch:

Reactions: 1 user
Ok......Uhm........Sure! That must be it!:scratch:

Yeah I did the same thing when they sent me there response back. When they throw out these acronyms I just go :crazy::crazy::crazy:. Then have to read it 3 more times hoping I understand it correctly.

In my terms:
1. Change the Communication Setting from FTDI to Serial
2. Save and make backup of project
3. Load saved backup on RPi
4. Try to open project

Checklist:
1. Fix the purple line on LCD Screen
2. Address the project not opening issue in TunerStudio
3. Work on quicker booting from power on to gauges showing in TunerStudio ( Goal: 30 sec of less)
4. Configuration of splash screen when booting
5. Drill hole on right-side of instrument cluster base to allow HDMI and Power Cable routing to LCD Screen

I have been able to complete #1 & #2. The original LCD screen settings that were provided with the screen are incorrect. They had the setting being hdmi_group=1 when it was supposed to be hdmi_drive=1. This tells the Raspberry Pi that this is a screen only with no sound. Why that makes a difference in the screen resolution I have no idea. This was after a lot of google searching and reading on the display options of the Raspberry Pi.

The feedback from EFI Analytics for correcting the project loading issue was correct. Changing the communication setting to serial, and reloading the project fixed the problem. I am now able to turn on the Raspberry Pi, and have it load automatically the TunerStudio software to the fullscreen dashboard. I have a current picture on the dashboard, but this will change due to the resolution of the screen. Things are quite small text wise, and others like the RPM numbers are huge.

IMG_20180218_155611087~2.jpg
IMG_20180218_155616532~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have updated my previous tuning laptops dashboard display to the below draft background that will be used as the cars new digital dashboard. I moved some things around since a lot of the text wasn't visible on the smaller screen. This doesn't have the gauges on it yet (clearly) as I wanted everyone's input on layout. If you know of a different dash design I am all open to ideas.

Car Lambo Dash V3.jpg

How are you getting the oil pressure input and the fuel level input??

Are you using a jbperf mini i/o board?
I still have 2 ADC available that I was thinking of using one for the oil pressure gauge.

The fuel gauge I found the below gas signal conditioner that will convert the current analog signal to digital and also average the signal over time getting rid of the fuel sloshing issue.

http://shop.irqengineering.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

No that's the shipping cost ... Lol.

Cost is 79.50$ pretty cheap for all that extra i/o
:bang: That makes a lot more sense

Between the two MS computers that will be running in the car for the engine and transmission I should hopefully not need any extras. What are your thoughts on the dashboard display as I am iffy on it now? Working on V2 now

I like it so far, but i am a fan of individual gauges so i would set it up that way. However you do have a limited amount of screen space so what you have looks great, maybe just try and optimize the screen usage.

BTW i will be recruiting you for a full write-up in the MS Tech thread once you are done so all of us have a resource to copy you from:nice:

think there is enough space to fit a 10" screen in that spot?

I like it so far, but i am a fan of individual gauges so i would set it up that way. However you do have a limited amount of screen space so what you have looks great, maybe just try and optimize the screen usage.

BTW i will be recruiting you for a full write-up in the MS Tech thread once you are done so all of us have a resource to copy you from:nice:

think there is enough space to fit a 10" screen in that spot?

It is defiantly limited space that's for sure. No, you wouldn't be able to put anything bigger in the dash than a 7" due to height restrictions.

I have already started to put together a how-to-guide as I'm putting this together, so nobody else has to go through the hassles I am.

The more I have been looking at the individual gauges I am not liking them either. The ability to build custom dashes in Tunerstudio is endless, and just think I will go with a simple digital reading using the limits/thresholds to show outside the normal operation ranges.

I 'm just thinking here but can you make the gauge color change when they go out of range like the dash used in nascar?
Like red for overheating and low oil pressure?
Just curious, maybe the work BOOM flashing in red in the gauge space?
Maybe I just think too much. :jester:

I 'm just thinking here but can you make the gauge color change when they go out of range like the dash used in nascar?
Like red for overheating and low oil pressure?
Just curious, maybe the work BOOM flashing in red in the gauge space?
Maybe I just think too much. :jester:

Yes, you are correct in that TunerStudio does have settings for 4 different levels that you can change the colors:
- Low Warning
- Low Critical
- High Warning
- High Critical

My current plan is to just display the digital value next to the icon rather than the traditional bar gauge. My original design had both the bar gauge and digital reading above it. I think this is just over kill.

This is Car Dash V3:

Car Dash V3 Pic.JPG

Ignore the 4 gauges at the bottom right as this is just a work in progress. I am thinking of having 5 gauges down each side as it seems to have room. I will have the MPH and Gear in the center of the Tach is the current thought as well.

Here is Car Dash V3.1:

Car Dash V2.1 Pic.JPG

I didn't like the sea of black, so I added a little additional red to break things up. Also, I couldn't find icons for MAP (load) and MAT (manifold air temperature), so I made my own using an air filter.

What are everyone's thoughts?

@karthief I have also shown the warning and critical coloring at the top right

Are you supercharged or turbo'd? If not then I don't think you need gauges for boost or MAT's. Not even sure TPS is all that important to know either. Just my $.02 since you're going with an auto trans and want to do track days and AutoX i'd stick with trans temp, oil temp, coolant temp, rpm, speed, voltage, fuel.