88 GT Project

rebelboy194

Apr 23, 2012
I was wondering what my car should run in the 1/4 when put together. I have an 88 GT convertible with the rear seat delete, front sway bar removed, stock suspension, stock 302 bottom end with new rings, and new bearings. Ported gt40p heads, match ported gt40 intake, F303 cam, 600 lift springs, 75mm throttle body, sd to maf conversion with stock maf, cold air intake, underdrive pulleys, headers, xpipe, flowmasters, 24# injectors, plan on runnin 4:10's, and radials but not sure what size is best. I have stock rebuilt T5 with a short throw shifter. I'm just looking at what the car should run. I have never driven a car down the track, but have been to the track and in cars going down the track many times. I'm just looking to figure out what I should be pulling once I have some experience driving the car. Any help is very much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say it should run mid to low 13's your gonna need a MAF that matches those 24lbs. Injecters and if your planning to run drag radials your gonna need a good clutch a high mile stock clucth will be smoked in a minute as far as tire size it depends on the size of your wheels. I run 245/50/16 nitto 555r on ponys hope this helps good luck ;)

Thanks I appreciate it. My bro has been telling me I need to upgrade clutch while the motor is out of the car. I'm just trying to get the heads done at the moment, but eventually I'll get there. What size MAF would I need for the 24#'ers? I've still got the stock 15's on the car so I guess some research is in order for tires.

Thanks I appreciate it. My bro has been telling me I need to upgrade clutch while the motor is out of the car. I'm just trying to get the heads done at the moment, but eventually I'll get there. What size MAF would I need for the 24#'ers? I've still got the stock 15's on the car so I guess some research is in order for tires.
You would need a MAF calibrated to 24 lbs injectors. I'd recommend going with Pro-M or PMAS.

Ok cool. How wide are 245/55, 255? I know my 2010 has 245's on them but can't remember the middle number at the moment. I'd like to go as wide as possible without tubs. Also I was wondering what to set the timing at for this set up?

A 275 is about as wide as you can get under there with out tubs you will need to roll the fender lips up and you'll need a wider wheel 8 inch wheel stock 15's are 6 or 7 inches wide not sure . Now for timing 10 is base and you should be fine with 14 I wouldn't go any more then that and make sure to only use the highest octane available in your area any time you advance your timing past the base of 10 degrees .you s probably should think about a larger fuel pump and a adjustablbe regulator

Yeah I've been thinking about that, however I didn't know if I needed it with a mild setup like this. Honestly I'd really like to hit 11's, but I know I need a lot more supporting mods in order to hit that mark without the car starting to come apart on me.

The combo you have its gonna be hard to get there with out some kind of power adder a turbo you'll be faster them that a blower there to or the much cheaper 125 to 150 shot high 11's hear you come good luck man my combo is similar to what you have with a vortech and a auto trans some suspension mods I run high 11's;)

Cool well thanks I appreciate all the advice and help. I've been working on cars for a while, but it's been chevy's and this is the first car I've actually built. I'm here to learn everything I can, I'm current active duty military but my passion is this most definitely. If i could make a good living wrenching I would, but the money just isn't there. Anyways, if you care to share some more insight feel free, like I said I'm here to learn, not argue about the insight I'm getting about my setup. I've seen a lot of that on here.