88 gt starter

fully

Aug 3, 2020
Saskatoon
So yesterday my boy went to leave work and the car wouldn’t start. Sound like starter isn’t engaging all the way. Is this just how they sound when they need replaced. Or is it the solenoid that I have read about. I do have a video but it won’t let me post it so maybe I will put it on my YouTube channel and link it here

• Sponsors (?)

So is the starter still good? Just solenoid bad? Haven’t had any issues until yesterday when he went to leave work. The battery is fully changed we put a trickle charger on it over night.

The Ford starter solenoid on the inner fender is fine if the starter spins and stops with the ignition key. The solenoid is likely to either not work at all, or to keep working with welded points, and low voltage seem to be the culprit in both cases.
The mini starters, GM and most everyone else have the relay and electromagnet for the Bendix throw out built into one unit on the starter top. Blown88GT wanted to make sure you were not just a Chevy guy. :)

The sound of the first attempt is of the starter spinning without engaging the flywheel or flex plate. The second attempt noise is of the spinning starter briefly hitting the flywheel or flex plate. That’s hard on teeth!

So, the starter needs replaced or rebuilt, and the teeth on the flywheel really need inspected before putting the new starter on.

Ok sounds good. I am almost home so I will get it up on jackstands as soon as I can and pull the starter and I will look at the fly wheel teeth as well. And no I am not a Chevy guy at all LOL I am on my third F150 and my wife drives a Lincoln as well. Thanks. Will update when I get the starter out.

Well thought we had it fixed. This morning when the boy fired it up it sounded like the starter was still engaged after it was running so does that mean the relay or solenoid whatever you call it on the fender by the battery is bad

Ford calls it a relay, therefore, I do too.
It could be that it is sticking closed
Try it again with a hammer in hand standing by the relay. If the starter stays engaged, wack the relay with a hammer. If the starter disengages, the relay is bad because the contacts are sticking.

I carry a wrench in the glovebox to whack the relay (solenoid) points in case they stick after the car has been parked over winter and the battery is s bit low. And that’s with one of the best parts store brands I could get..

The next step is to check the cable (and smaller wires to the solenoid) ends for clean connections, then the cables for voltage drop on both the positive and ground wires. If those all check out, the battery and ignition switch will need an eye kept on, but you should be good to go.