88Gt Conv, lowered and rims rubbing a-arms, help!

abudwill

May 18, 2008
Hello,

I have a 1988 GT Convertible. The car has FMS C springs, FMS M3075A front control arms and Pony R 17" rims. When I had the springs and control arms installed the rims began rubbing on the control arms. I can no longer turn my wheel to the lock - which makes it difficult to drive (difficult to navigate in parking lots, make tight turns).

For example if I get in the car and turn the steering wheel left, the back of the drivers side front rim will hit the control arm. If I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, the front passenger side rim will hit the back of the control arm.

Can anyone give some advice regarding what options I have / how I can solve this?

• Sponsors (?)

is there any disadvantage to running with spacers?

i would say stricter rack limiters are out of the question. the turning radius is pretty poor at the moment.

Posted via Mobile Device

I had the same problem when I put my 17x9 SC wheels on the front of my car, I installed rack limiters and now the wheels stop just before they hit the control arm, I lost some turning radius, but Im used to it now and Ive learned what I can and cannot do.

When I drive this mustang I have the need to drive in a very narrow parking garage and park in tight spots. I think a rack limiter is out of the question for me.

I have been reading and I think I will need to switch to a more narrow rim or add a wheel spacer (not the washer type!).

Anyone have experience with wheel spacers / have opinions on them?

Just don't turn the wheel so much? You gotta make sacrifices at some point when going with a non stock set up. Maybe you could install the 6.5 inch wide Pony R's on the front and that will solve your problem for ya.

It is funny you mention the Pony R's... I have a set of the older manufactured 17x8 white ones right now with ford centercaps. My car is even up on their website:

MavroMont Industries - Home Page

I actually have an email out to Mavromont asking for a price on 17x6.5s (front) and 17x8s (rear). I really loved the white on white like I have now, but will probably end up going with silver this time around because they are cheaper.

I am getting ready to mock up my car with washers on the wheel studs of all things to bring the front wheels out a certain amount. I am going to fire the car up and turn the wheel / see if it buys me enough room. If it does, I am going to give spacers from adaptitusa.com a shot first before I go drop $1100 on new rims/tires. Disclaimer - hell no I am not driving with the washers on the studs, it is just to mock it up!