Fox 88lx vert top issues

GoodallB

Oct 22, 2019
Kansas
I’m new to convertibles in general so I’m hoping this is a simple fix.
I just bought the project car, the original top and frame were shot so I got a doner from an 89GT. The install was pretty simple had them both swapped in about an hour, however when I close the top it will not straighten at the point circled in the photo. Is there adjustments that can be made, I’m at a loss right now

Attachments

• B53B1D95-4268-46D8-8CA5-030192A84792.jpeg
    B53B1D95-4268-46D8-8CA5-030192A84792.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Sponsors (?)

Top frames aren't all the same. What year is your car....we know the donor is an 89.

We also need a pic of the issue you are talking about. Tight vinyl can cause it not to close easily. Adjustments to the frame itself can do it. A cracked frame where the riveted metal plate is will do it..... Basically....we need more pics and info.

Top frames aren't all the same. What year is your car....we know the donor is an 89.

We also need a pic of the issue you are talking about. Tight vinyl can cause it not to close easily. Adjustments to the frame itself can do it. A cracked frame where the riveted metal plate is will do it..... Basically....we need more pics and info.

I apologize the car is an 88lx. Does the picture not show up in this post? Any key areas to photograph for diagnosis

I don't know if I can explain it well enough, but the top is coming in too close to the front of the car. It's basically overextending itself. I had the same issue a few years ago when I swapped tops in my 84. I can't help much past that since I can't remember what I did to correct it, but it'll work when you can have the back section of the top stop in the proper location.

The bolts on the sides below the quarter windows need to be adjusted to pull that section of the frame back. I have an adjustment manual somewhere but can't remember where I put it. I'll try to find it after work....if I can remamber.

Now that @90sickfox mentioned it, I think what I did was removed the bolts from that section and when I reinstalled them the mounting plate was bolted in upside down. Once I figured that out and flipped it everything worked as it was supposed to.

In this thread, the 4th pic shows the adjustment slots. The plate that the rod attaches to can bolt in one of 2 ways. Be sure that it is bolted in the correct way. If I remember right that's where my problem was.

Reactions: 1 user
No luck on finding the adjustment manual. I'll keep searching for it. We moved last year and still have some stuff in boxes.