89 5.0 Idle Issues

Erick30150

Active User
Mar 13, 2017
alright so my fox has an issue with its idle on a cold start it'll jump up to atleast 1500-2000 Roma almost stall out but idles prettt normal after driving for an hour or stopped at a red light the cars rpm will drop about 150 Rpms and start idleing roughky but won't stall out accelerates poorly but drives perfectly fine I checked for vacuum leaks and nothing at all. I did pull some codes and swapped out the sensors that had the codes go off but CEL remains on and rough idle is still there I'll post the codes later as I don't have them atm

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 200,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

Reactions: 2 users