89 5.0 Power Steering Pump/ Pulley Too Far Foward

Dirtslow5.0

May 7, 2017
Hey what's up fellas, been having issues with serpentine belts shredding.

2 days ago I got my hands on a Gates laser Serpentine guide tool. It shows my power steering pulley is too far forward, so I used a pulley pusher and pushed it as far back on the shaft of the pump as I could. Still is about an eighth of an inch off. Or a rib and a half and is still eating the belt albeit a lot better now.

Is there any way to shim the power steering pump? Or maybe something is wrong here? Heres some pics. Currently doing the water pump so it's all apart, the bracket is not in place so it may not be possible to see the alignment

20171208_115304.jpg

20171208_115256.jpg
20171208_115129.jpg
20171208_115112.jpg
IMG-20171207-WA0001.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

Does that front A/c mount sit flush with the edge of the p/s bracket?

I just checked my setup and have about 1/8-1/4" gap between back of pulley and pump mounting bolts.

It's tough to really tell with the accessories all taken apart.

Someone probably through the wrong power steering pump from a junkyard on there at one point or something. The pulley should sit flush with the shaft.

Kurt

You can shim the power steering pump bracket forward a bit. They also sell shims for the crank pulley.

There shouldn't be any issues with alignment on a normal engine with regular fox brackets.

The AC compressor is correct.

The power steering pump pulley should sit flush with the shaft it presses on.

Can you take a pic of the metal bracket the bolts to the front of the water pump and holds the compressor and power steering pump bracket ? Yours looks like something is missing. That may be why there is a gap between compressor and pump bracket. This is what it should look like....

Screenshot_2017-12-08-20-14-56.png

Here is why I mentioned the ac compressor, I compared the pics to my 89, the clutch in the pic where the belt rides has a thicker flange in the front and thin in the back, mine is the opposite, this moves the belt back closer to the ac pump, also I compared the back of the compressor in relation to the bolt mount, it looks to me to be closer to the bracket which moves the compressor even farther back.
I could be wrong, it's just my observation, I think I was wrong one time before but can't remember.