89 5.0l Mustang Rebuild

rushcanuck

Jul 6, 2013
hello,

Im new to the mustang world, a few months ago I purchased a 89 mustang LX which had the motor pulled out and harness/ecu removed for really cheap. the guy had planned to run a carb 347 stroker in the car at first but lost interest and now ive got it. Slowly piecing it together over the last few weeks. Lastnight it came time to see if I would get to hear my 5.0L finally run. I had no such luck.

I checked for spark, which it had a nice arc from every plug. pulled the valve cover off to make sure the dizzy was put in at tdc of the compression stroke and pointed it to the #1 cylinder. upon doing this I noticed that the fuel pump only runs when you turn the key all the way to start, wont come on even for a second if you just turn it to run. I found this weird as lastweek I was working out issues with the fuel pump not running which turned out to be a forgotten fuse link wire on the solenoid. Im just looking for some advice on anywhere to start.

note: the car will fire with some gas sprayed down into the intake but doesnt even make a sound without. spark plugs are dry and new. I was reading over a few of the tutorials for a no start situation on here and it said if the TPS is showing more than 3.7v you will get no power to the injectors. so I checked my TPS (which I had to purchase one brand new as the motor had it removed, there was 2 choices based on Im guessing numbers off the original which I didnt have) anyways I went and checked my TPS and at the orange wire I was showing 10.62v I quite prompty went woah that cant be right? so I tried rotating the TPS and there was no change in voltage. Im just tryiing to track stuff down now so hopefully someone could help me out

thanks a lot for any help

• Sponsors (?)