'89 and up Mustangs came with World Class T-5's?

• Sponsors (?)

Actually the aftermarket T-5's true designation is either "Heavy Duty" or 7003-Z. They are both the same tranny (now manufactured by Tremec and sold by Ford Racing under the 7003-Z number), and are both stronger than any T-5 that came in any year Mustang. It is correct that the World Class T-5's are stronger than earlier T-5's but they are not as strong as the Heavy-Duty/Z T-5.

"World Class" is simply Ford's designation for the upgraded T-5 that they spec'd to Borg Warner, the original manufacturer of the T-5. In other words, you can find a "World Class" T-5 at a junk yard, but the best T-5 (H.D./Z) is only available new. The easiest way to identify a HD/Z T-5 is by the 2.95 ratio on 1st gear (the later model v8 Fox body t-5's came w/ 3.35 1st gears), that's the one you want if you call a shop, regardless of whether they get it from Ford Racing or directly from Tremec.

83-84 Non WC T-5. These do not have roller bearings for the countershaft and no caged needle bearings under the gears. They still make non WC T-5's for wimpy applications (cheaper) these had 2.95 first

85-89 First series WC-T5 These had the 3.35 first, and all the good WC upgrades 7 tooth speedo gear. 265 ft lb rating

90-93 upgraded model, WC-t-5 carbon blocker rings, improved gear alloys. 8 tooth speedo gear, 300 ft lb rating.

93 Cobra, same as 93 T-5 but caged tapered bearing between input and output shaft. Steel throwout bearing retainer. 310 ft lbs

94-95 WC-t-5 Same as 90 - 93 model, but longer input shaft. 300 ft lbs

94-95 Cobra 310 foot lb rating. similar to 93 cobra but with longer input shaft

T-5 Z same as 93 cobra but with 2.95 first gear Most have entire input shaft collar steel not just T/o bearing tube. 330 ft lb rating. Aftermarket only

I may be off in some details but this is pretty close.

My 87 Convertables tranny blew up and I was given a rebuilt tranny and my old one was given to them as a core.. How can I tell if my rebuilt tranny is a "WC" or a pre 89 tranny?