Interior and Upholstery 89 GT convertible quarter window help

gearhead77

Mar 13, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
So my left quarter window stopped going up or down yet the motor functions. I decidid to take it apart and see. I bought LMRs quarter window kit with new motors, guide rod bushings and guide. It doesn’t appear broken though, but there’s a lot of play and it still won’t go up or down. Since I have it apart, I’m trying to do the LMR upgrade anyway and I know it’s a PITA.

But I cannot figure out how to get the window guide off the guide rod as they show in the LMR video. It appears there’s a part change from 89 to the 91 or whatever they’re working on in the video. But also something not right? I cannot get a wrench or socket on the bolts on the guideplate and it looks like something is not right with the part that allows some pivot to the window carrier.

Anything else I’m missing as to why the motor works but the window won’t move at all?
F1341949-FC7B-4EAF-8B28-6F64F15D7CF7.jpeg

A5896A12-5C4C-440B-85C6-7A893A11EEF3.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't expect a ton of responses since convertibles aren't that popular. Anyway, I figured it all out, but trying to get this put together properly and the windows adjusted properly is really a "dark art". Not the easiest spot to work in either. At least all the bolts/nuts/fasteners came off without a fight, nothing rusted.

Reactions: 1 user
Convertibles are popular because I have one. When if ever I get my stimulus check I am going to get that kit. Also the rubber top seal. I hope you will give us an idea on whats up with the install. I know it can be a tough job , and I am watching some videos myself.

Convertibles are popular because I have one. When if ever I get my stimulus check I am going to get that kit. Also the rubber top seal. I hope you will give us an idea on whats up with the install. I know it can be a tough job , and I am watching some videos myself.

The LMR video is pretty good as an overview/how-to, but the car in their video is a 1990 or later when they changed the seatbelt mounts. My car is an 89 and it didn't have some of the pieces from the LMR video or they were different.

Some things I noticed/had issues with:

-The picture I've posted is of the pivot point for the regulator. It hooks on to the pictured brass pin with a c-clip. Have extra, small c-clips laying around when you do it. They will drop into the bottom of the car!

- Also in this picture, the part that is skewed is blocking the nuts to remove the window carrier from the guiderod assembly. I could not get a wrench or anything on those bolts to remove the whole carrier, so I had to unhook it from the bottom plate and replace the bushings that way. Did I mention this in an extremely tight and awkward space to work in? The problem is that those are the adjusting nuts, so it took a lot of messing around to get the window to move properly and it's still not right. But it's close, it goes up, which it didn't do previously.

- It's best to remove the seatbelt retractor(s) and their mount completely for more room.
-If you're planning on doing both sides, leave one side assembled for reference!
- The kit from LMR is nice, but the new window motors don't mount to the factory motor bracket that you reuse exactly right. Plan to enlarge one of the holes in your mount and then have an issue with the fit of the new motor to the car. It's one of those small but frustrating things.

Sorry I didn't do pics, didn't think about it until I was done. I might do the passenger side motor because it's slow, but I might leave the guiderod bushing alone. I'm not a mechanic or tech by trade, so this was two days at a slow pace for one side. It's really time consuming the whole thing. I've gotten the adjustments close, but my top isn't quite right either, so as long as the window goes up and mostly seals I'm fine.

I had seen that the new brackets are supposed to be riveted in. When you enlarged the hole did a bolt , or a screw get used. Or did you rivet it Seems you have to take your time because the whole back of the interior needs to be pulled out I have a 1990 so hopefully it goes better.I have had a window down for two years.

I had seen that the new brackets are supposed to be riveted in. When you enlarged the hole did a bolt , or a screw get used. Or did you rivet it Seems you have to take your time because the whole back of the interior needs to be pulled out I have a 1990 so hopefully it goes better.I have had a window down for two years.

The LMR quarter window kit comes with a new billet guiderod and hardware to install as well as new window motors. The billet guiderod attaches with supplied screws and lock-washers. Not a bad deal money-wise and a the billet part is a big upgrade over the factory plastic. Other resto houses have the original Ford plastic part and it involves rivets.

Plus, it follows my plans for my car: Keep it close to original ( only 69k miles and I bought it from the original owner last year) but upgrade when possible. I'm not going for show winner here, just a decent quality driver.

Reactions: 1 user