89 GT CONVERTIBLE ?'S. CONVT TOP LATCH, AND SEAT BELT HELP PLEASE.

biglg

Mar 13, 2006
I have an 89 gt convertible. The right convertible top latch has an issue. The “J” hook doesn’t swing forward on its own. It just hangs and you have to push it forward manually to get it to latch. I am not very mechanically inclined and I haven tried to take it apart as I might mess something else up. So before taking apart I thought I would ask if there was a way to fix this, or is it broke for good? Is there a spring, or part I need to buy to fix it? If so where can I buy it, can someone direct me to a picture, or part name and number so I can search pricing. Any help would be appreciated.

Secondly, my right rear seat belt retractor has an issue! I guess it would be the retractor spring cap came flying off and the spring shot out. I tried to manually put the spring back together, but I cant get it to work. It has to be coiled so tight and while trying to hold it and fasten the ends to the retractor it always springs lose before I get it in. Also, the majority of the spring coil wraps on one direction, then at the other end about 4-7 inches it looks like it coils the opposite way. Is this correct? How am I supposed to coil it, all one way? How can I get this fixed, is there a trick or technique to this? Does anyone have a retractor and belt for the right rear on my 89 convertible they want to sell?

One more thing. Will a rear hatchback or coupe seatbelt work in my 89 convt? Does it have to be an 87-89, or will a 90-93 work? Please let me know on seatbelt compatibility for the rear belts only. I know the fronts have to be 87-89 because the quarter panels were different in 90-93. But I cant think why 90-93 convt rear belts wouldn’t work, or why a couple hatchback from 87-93 wouldn’t work? Please confirm my assumption. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

my J hooks for my 1988 and 1993 did the same thing from the day I bought them - I think it is just made that way - not too easy to close I know - I am currently looking to get a locator pin for my 1993. Seat belts - I don't know - check eBay for the same color and convertible style or try looking on line for a person who parts out fox body mustangs - there are lots of them.

Hey biglg, I am not competely understanding your problem with the j-hook. Are u saying that after the conv. top motor has raised the frame to its fullest extent, you must guide the j-hook into the receptacle, and then latch it? If so, then I think that is normal. I manually put my hooks into the receptacles and then latch it up. Maybe Im not understanding your problem, sorry.

The drivers side once you start to pull the latch in to tighten it down, the hook moves up and in while pulling the latch in to tie down the top.

The passenger side the J hook doesnt move up and in as the latch is moving in. You have to grab the J hook and basically hold it in place and make sure i catched to latch. It is like the J hook just hangs straight down no matter what position the latch is in. I hope that helps clear it up.