89 mustang AOD to 5-speed Swap...Help please!!!

Stang514

Mar 25, 2008
Im new to the forum and I was hoping to get some peoples feedback. I have a 89 GT in perfect conditon but my AOD tranny is blown. I was thinking of swaping the AOD to put a 5-speed in. Was wondering what everyones opinion was, should I keep it AOD or make it 5-speed manuel and if I swaped it what tranny would you recommend.

Thanks, Tom

• Sponsors (?)

The AOD to T-5 transmission swap is regularly done and a little work with the search function will yield tons of information. On a stockish car, a standard stock T-5 is a perfectly adequate piece. One note for you: While every thing is a direct bolt-in, this is a very labor intensive job. Unless you can do the work yourself, it will be much more cost-effective to rebuild your AOD. If you are doing it yourself and haven't done one before, plan on 25-30 hours of your time. I took my time over three weekends to complete the job. On the plus side, it REALLY wakes up the car.

If you plan on doing alot of mods in the near future, I would go ahead and upgrade to a tko or something while you're at it. the stock t-5 especially if you get a used/worn/beat on one wont handle much. other than that its not a hard swap, the worst part is the pedal assembly. G-force trans are also an option. Let us know if you need anything else.

--Chuck

Thanks for the info...I desided to go ahead to swap in the 5-speed. Im going to go with the tremec tko 500. do i need to change the computer? from what ive read some recommend that you leave it. someone also told me something about hearing a pinging noise or something like that, does that sound right? and how is the shifter on the tko 500 is it any good or should i put a new one on? i also heard that the 5-speed is harder on the car and it could tear some stuff apart on the car like the torque box. is there anything i need to do with that. If theres anything else I should no i would appreciate it...Thanks