89 Notch Doing The Tko 600 Swap

Pulling the old motor on my Road Racer, out with the 5.0 in with the 347. So I'm fairly sure I have a Tremec 3550 or 3650 tranny in it now (too lazy to go outside and look) I know it's not a T-5. With third gear going grind grind when she's cold, I figured with the engine swap it's time for the better transmission.
My question is since it's a 3550 or 3650 in it now, do I need to buy anything else or is this a bolt in deal?
Can I pull and install the motor and tranny hooked together or would it be better to separate them?
What experience does anyone have with the Road Race TKO and would I regret it over the standard TKO as far as gear ratios? I may go with the 500 for the better ratios.
How critical is indexing and what is it?

• Sponsors (?)

What gears are you running? This will determine whether you need the to 500 or 600! If you are running 2.73 to 3.55 you need the 500. If you are running 3.55 an lower gears to like 4.10 then you need the 600. That way you will have the right setup for your car. I used to sell the tko's all the time. If you do have a 3550 it will be a direct bolt in for you. The 3650 is what is in the 99-04 mustangs. I guarantee you that you do not have one of those in your car cuz they only bolt up to the 4.6!

I would install the motor first then the tranny. That's my opinion but I have seen people do both. Just less of a headache doing motor first then tranny. If you are racing I would get the speed and strength kit for it. It replaces the stock brass synchros it carbon fiber lined brass synchros and replaces the stock plastic shift keys with brass ones. This seriously beefs up the tranny even more. After this upgrade you will need to run gm synchro mesh oil cuatros of the carbon fiber lined synchros.

Take your time installing it. Check your clearances and back lash, everything. They can be tempormental sometimes with growling noise coming from gear box if not installed correctly.i Jose this helps you.

What gears are you running? This will determine whether you need the to 500 or 600! If you are running 2.73 to 3.55 you need the 500. If you are running 3.55 an lower gears to like 4.10 then you need the 600. That way you will have the right setup for your car. I used to sell the tko's all the time. If you do have a 3550 it will be a direct bolt in for you. The 3650 is what is in the 99-04 mustangs. I guarantee you that you do not have one of those in your car cuz they only bolt up to the 4.6!

I would install the motor first then the tranny. That's my opinion but I have seen people do both. Just less of a headache doing motor first then tranny. If you are racing I would get the speed and strength kit for it. It replaces the stock brass synchros it carbon fiber lined brass synchros and replaces the stock plastic shift keys with brass ones. This seriously beefs up the tranny even more. After this upgrade you will need to run gm synchro mesh oil cuatros of the carbon fiber lined synchros.

Take your time installing it. Check your clearances and back lash, everything. They can be tempormental sometimes with growling noise coming from gear box if not installed correctly.i Jose this helps you.

Thanks, super helpful.