89 rev. limiter ?'s Is 7K rpm's ok?

Matts89Notch

Jan 26, 2007
I have a 89 notch and too many questions but I hope you wisemen can help me. I only have driven it 10 miles since I got it and opened it up 2 times in 1-2 gear. The first time I hit it I got no traction in first from a 15mph rolling start. It broke them loose pretty bad and went into 2nd with almost the same results but it was fighting for traction and hooked. Last night I took it out in the parking lot with my friend who has a sick sounding 96 gt and i hit it going 5 mph. It went right to 7K and left 10' black marks on the pavement.

Do these 5.0's have a rev. limiter on them because I thought redline was 6K? It went well past that and just feels faster thatn it should be for a stock car. The tires out back are almost new so i have plenty of rubber. The drive shaft is painted orange and I'm not sure if it's steel....it also has a crome diff cover so I'm not sure if it has a different gear or not. My friend has a 4:10 in his stang and he said it his rpm's rise much faster? What am I missing?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 89 notch and too many questions but I hope you wisemen can help me. I only have driven it 10 miles since I got it and opened it up 2 times in 1-2 gear. The first time I hit it I got no traction in first from a 15mph rolling start. It broke them loose pretty bad and went into 2nd with almost the same results but it was fighting for traction and hooked. Last night I took it out in the parking lot with my friend who has a sick sounding 96 gt and i hit it going 5 mph. It went right to 7K and left 10' black marks on the pavement.

Do these 5.0's have a rev. limiter on them because I thought redline was 6K? It went well past that and just feels faster thatn it should be for a stock car. The tires out back are almost new so i have plenty of rubber. The drive shaft is painted orange and I'm not sure if it's steel....it also has a crome diff cover so I'm not sure if it has a different gear or not. My friend has a 4:10 in his stang and he said it his rpm's rise much faster? What am I missing?

7k...yea right!!!!

everyone knows a 5.0's redline is WAYYYYYYY higher than that stock....take it a little further:nice:

I don't know about that.....I thought after 5K the motor fell on it's face...judging by the dyno's the power drops off after that point. I only did it once and don't want to blow the motor..I just don't understand why it did not cut the fuel after 6K.

I don't know about that.....I thought after 5K the motor fell on it's face...judging by the dyno's the power drops off after that point. I only did it once and don't want to blow the motor..I just don't understand why it did not cut the fuel after 6K.

on a more serious note, in my 5.0s ive personally never had one make any power past about 5-5500.

Yes it's the stock tach. I see thank you guys. I know that the motor does not make any power after 5000-5500 rpms. It just broke them loose and snaped up that fast. I really did not do it on purpose. I just thought a stock 5.0 was much slower and could not break them loose that eaisly? It said 7K on the stock tach, but what I want to know if it really is only winding to 5K then if I let it go past 7K on the stock tach will it cut fuel, or go BOOM?

Yes, even a stock 5.0 without slick will break them loose easily in 1st gear. The stock rev-limiter is at 6250. Like mentioned above, the stock tach is extremely innacurate. Mine shows a little over 7k when it hits the rev limiter. I know this from burnouts, I don't actually shift that high :p

Like blackened88lx said, the stock limiter is set at 6250 and it does cut fuel not spark. I have personally never hit the rev limiter and there have been plenty of times where i thought i would have. I am reluctant to just sit there and rev it up until i hit it because revving a motor with no load on it is a bad idea. I definitely agree with the stock tach being inacurate, my auto meter will read at least 250 rpm different from the stock tach when the rpms get up there. Like stated above...theres absolutely no reason to rev a stock HCI 5.0 any higher than 5-5.5k rpm.

Like blackened88lx said, the stock limiter is set at 6250 and it does cut fuel not spark. I have personally never hit the rev limiter and there have been plenty of times where i thought i would have. I am reluctant to just sit there and rev it up until i hit it because revving a motor with no load on it is a bad idea. I definitely agree with the stock tach being inacurate, my auto meter will read at least 250 rpm different from the stock tach when the rpms get up there. Like stated above...theres absolutely no reason to rev a stock HCI 5.0 any higher than 5-5.5k rpm.

throw on a full exhaust, a cobra intake, and some 1.72's, and it will pull till 6k np.
a full hci car, revs like a 4 cylinder :)