9.5" wide rims with stock 235/50-18's? help!!

642mx

Feb 23, 2011
I found a set of rims from the 2010 GT500 that I'm thinking about getting for my 2011 GT.

They are 9.5" wide. Any problems with the stock rubber fitting (235/50-18's)? I only have 600 miles on the stock tires, so I don't want to spring for tires yet.

Also, any clearance issues? Will they stick out farther than my stock 18" wide spokes? I'm not sure how wide the "wide spokes" rims are....

Any and all help is much appreciated!!!

• Sponsors (?)

you CAN but it'll look stupid as hell defeating the whole purpose of buying new wheels while simultaneously giving you worse traction (also defeating the purpose of new wheels).

get the wheels if you want and save for tires.

I'm not super concerned with traction... the automatic behind the 5.0L really doesn't get crazy frying the tires anyways, but I don't want it to look goofy.

Do you know how wide the stock rims are? And what size tire would look the best with the 9.5" rims?

Thanks!!!

The best fitment for an 18x9.5 is a 255/45, although I'm sure they could take wider than that. I'm with Makoto though, get the wheels, but save up until you can get some good tires, it will look weird with a tire as narrow as a 235 on a 9.5" rim.

The problem isn't money... its just hard to justify buying rubber when I still have tits on the stock tires.

A 20mm wider tire would look better, but that's less than an inch difference.... I may try to find some 8" or 8.5's instead.... decisions, decisions...

The problem isn't money... its just hard to justify buying rubber when I still have tits on the stock tires.

A 20mm wider tire would look better, but that's less than an inch difference.... I may try to find some 8" or 8.5's instead.... decisions, decisions...

if you just hate your stock wheels that bad sell the wheels and tires after you buy some new wheels and tires. thats what i'd do if money wasn't an issue at all. otherwise just rock the stockers while you decide on wheels to buy.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to keep the stockers on for a little while and see what happens. I just want to change them out so it doesn't look like everyone else's car.

So far I've added a Roush axle back exhaust and MGP caliper covers (red).... I think I'll change the spoiler next. :D

GT500 Rims

I got a set of 2007 GT500 rims for my snow tires (they were cheap). They are 9.5 outside to outside wide, but tire guys call them 8.5 because they care about the inside width.

I'm running them with 255R45 18" and they work, but they would be better with wider tires. I'm not sure 235s would stretch all the way across.

-Jason