9" S197 wheels on Fox w/ Sn95 brakes

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Here's a 5-lug/wheel thread that has not been discussed before.

I started a thread on the Corral and got a lot of good info, but time to toss it on here and see what you guys have to offer.

Basically I took a read to the article in MM&FF about bolting up stock 17" S197 wheels to a Fox with the M2300K kit. They said it fit great as the deeper backspacing compensated for the increased offset with the SN95 rear setup.

Basically what I want is 9" Bullitts all the way around on my FOx, but I don't want to run the NC brackets because I plan on putting some race tires on my '97 Cobras for AutoXing and would prefer the wider SN95 stance in the rear.

SO my thinking was to run normal SN95 17x9 bullitts up front....and S197 17x9 bullitts in the rear.

Here's why I am thinking it will work

These are the bullitts from AMericanmuscle (formerly Mustang tuning)
BS of 17x9 SN95 wheel = 5.94"
BS of 17x9 S197 wheel = 6.77"

That's a 0.83" difference. The SN95 rear setup adds 0.75" of offset in the rear...see where I'm going with this??? :D

Here's the thread I started on Corral.net
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=848675

opinions???

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe. The old M179 Motorsport Cobra R wheels with 6.42" BS were made for the rear of a Fox with SN95 rear axles. The extra 0.35" BS may cause rubbing on the quad shocks or inner fender.

my only complaint would be that i dont like how shallow the spokes are on the s197 bullits, look better more sunken in as with the sn 95 wheel, ya know?

but other than that i see no problem in doing that.

Ensure that the wheels are identical style. When i was looking at doing something similar, some of the SN95 wheels had a slightly different style than the S197 wheels. Otherwise, sounds like a good plan! I'm actually considering the same thing for street use (if i ever take the prostars off it at all).

Euphoric306 said:
my only complaint would be that i dont like how shallow the spokes are on the s197 bullits, look better more sunken in as with the sn 95 wheel, ya know?

Well, that's what I'm looking into now.

The bullitt wheels sold by Americantuning.com are all the SN95 style bullitts, but with the different offsets. I'm trying to sneak a peek at some SN95 17x9's and some S197 17x9's to see if there is a big difference in terms of how much they are sunken in. If it's big, i won't go with this plan, but if it's close enough that you won't really notice, i may go for it