Interior and Upholstery 90 Convertible rear window broke?!

Espo720

May 4, 2016
So I just traded my hatch for a super clean 90 convertible. I stopped to put the top down and the top seemed to get hung up, next thing I know the damn glass window pops.

Now the top itself is in really nice shape and seems damn near new. I unzipped the rear window and unbolted the bottom from the chassis, but the sides weren’t sewn or anything. Is this normal? I’m ordering a replacement ASAP and am hesitant to go with another glass window vs the plastic.

• Sponsors (?)

The windows are never sewn on the sides. If you can figure out what brand the top is it makes replacing it so much easier. Different manufacturers use different zipper styles.

Glas is the best way to go. When you put the top down you have to make sure it isn't hitting the metal piece that runs on the back of the rear seat. Plastic will get cloudy over time.

The windows are never sewn on the sides. If you can figure out what brand the top is it makes replacing it so much easier. Different manufacturers use different zipper styles.

Glas is the best way to go. When you put the top down you have to make sure it isn't hitting the metal piece that runs on the back of the rear seat. Plastic will get cloudy over time.
Anything in particular that would cause it to hit the back of the seat?

Correct. The metal piece on the back of the seat is screwed on and can be removed if its a problem until you can figure out where the adjustment is needed. You may have to open the top a little more than halfway with the switch. Then you could let the top slowly drop on its own so you can see what's going on when you get the new glass. While the top is going down you can push the glass towards the rear and it'll clear. Going back up usually isn't an issue. Also make sure everything is clear from the back of the trunk in the area where the top goes.

Reactions: 1 user