Brakes 90 Fox GT - Brake pedal question

Justin87

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Hello,

I have some questions about my 90 GT Brakes.

Recently I replaced everything with the front and rear brakes on my 90 GT. (pads, rotors, bearings, drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders) I also upgraded the fronts with Hawk Pads and Stop Tech drilled and slotted rotors. The car stops really well, MUCH better than before. Not to much nose dive, E-brake is fully engaged within the first couple clicks, I am pretty happy with everything... everything except the pedal.

I know the pedal pressure in these cars never really inspire a lot of confidence in their stock form, but I was hoping the pressure would be better and less spongy.

First Question:

Obviously, I have bled the brakes, and can certainly bleed them more but I am wondering if the junctions at the calipers could be bad. I DID replace the banjo bolts and the crush washers and I am sure I have the correct calipers on the correct sides. I am NOT seeing any brake fluid leaking, but I can't help shake the feeling that the metal looks damp, almost like the fluid is seeping through. It IS dry to the touch and it's possible I am just being paranoid. (See the attached photos of the calipers) Please ignore the missing paint, brake fluid took the VHT paint right off.

Is this a common issue when replacing calipers? Just more bleeding? Replace the rubber hoses too?

Second Question:

The rear axle brake lines were pretty well seized to the brake fittings when I loosened them from the wheel cylinders. As a result, when I loosened in the beginning, they kind of twisted like a Twizzlers candy. I'm thinking they might be contributing to a bad seal at the real wheel cylinders. (see the attached photo of the rear brake line)

I'm considering ordering a set of pre-bent lines from LMR, anyone have any success with these? I'm concerned how they will survive the shipping to my house.

Again, the brakes seem to be functioning really well, just a spongy brake pedal.

Thanks for you time, any input would be great.

-Justin

Attachments

• Caliper-underside-1.jpg
    Caliper-underside-1.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 293
  • Caliper-underside-2.jpg
    Caliper-underside-2.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Drum-Brakeline.jpg
    Drum-Brakeline.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I pretty much have your setup (Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech rotors). One thing I did that made huge difference in peddle feel was replacing my brake lines with the Maximum Motorsports braided lines. My pedal is not spongy at all. I also installed Raybestos rebuilt calipers in the process.

Another thing that really surprised me was installing the Maximum Motorsports stainless steel caliper sleeves. My pads are actually wearing even now and the car doesn't pull under heavy braking.

I also used the pre-bent rear hard lines from LMR. They were almost perfectly bent and I would definitely recommend them.

I also have Hawk pads, upgraded rotors, new soft lines etc. on my 93GT
and like Dan02gt I installed a set of s.s. caliper sleeves which helped.
I would at least replace the rubber lines with new ones as well as changing out
the rear twizzler lines. Hard to tell from pics if it's leaking/seeping.

Do you get good flow from the breeders when you crack them open?

With the engine off, does the pedal pump up high and hard as a rock, or is there still some sponginess?

Do you get good flow from the breeders when you crack them open?

With the engine off, does the pedal pump up high and hard as a rock, or is there still some sponginess?

I did get good flow, from the bleeders.

The pedal IS harder with the engine off, sponginess is definitely more pronounced with the car running.

I pretty much have your setup (Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech rotors). One thing I did that made huge difference in peddle feel was replacing my brake lines with the Maximum Motorsports braided lines. My pedal is not spongy at all. I also installed Raybestos rebuilt calipers in the process.

Another thing that really surprised me was installing the Maximum Motorsports stainless steel caliper sleeves. My pads are actually wearing even now and the car doesn't pull under heavy braking.

I also used the pre-bent rear hard lines from LMR. They were almost perfectly bent and I would definitely recommend them.

Do those caliper sleeves just slid inside the rubber boots that are already installed on the calipers? or do you pull them out?

Were the braided steel lines meant for stock foxbody calipers? I thought they only made them for SN95 cars.

Do those caliper sleeves just slid inside the rubber boots that are already installed on the calipers? or do you pull them out?

Were the braided steel lines meant for stock foxbody calipers? I thought they only made them for SN95 cars.

You pull the rubber boots out and they replace them.

Yes they were and fit perfectly.

MM Braided Brake Lines

You pull the rubber boots out and they replace them.

Yes they were and fit perfectly.

MM Braided Brake Lines

Just wanted to give an update, I bought a set of stainless steel brake hoses, and a set of pre-bent lines for American Muscle. I was REALLY impressed with how easily the lines went together. The bends were one point, the fittings were great.

So far I have only installed the rear stainless brake hose and between that and the new hard lines, its already a HUGE difference. Pedal is significantly more firm, feels like a whole new car already.

Thanks for the input guys!

Couple photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_2728.jpg
    IMG_2728.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: 1 users
I attached, the front stainless steel brake lines and the brake pedal feels great, super stiff, very responsive. The lines are J&M braided stainless lines off of LMR’s website.

I do have a new concern. There appears to be a small imperfection in the hose (or at least in the rubber clear covering on one of the hoses). The hoses went on without a hitch and I was careful with bending them but it almost looks like it was kinked at one point anyways. :mad:

I’m not super familiar with stainless hoses, so I’m not sure what to look for in terms of problems, but I think there’s something wrong here. Thoughts?

Attached 2 pictures. I’m super super zoomed in on one of them, otherwise it’s very difficult to notice from the naked eye. I’m being paranoid, but it’s also a pretty important system to have 100% confidence in (obviously)

Attachments

• 3018BFFE-2F74-430C-926A-63AA666865AB.jpeg
    3018BFFE-2F74-430C-926A-63AA666865AB.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 182
  • D118EC4F-F16D-4DC5-9A7A-28F73287AC26.jpeg
    D118EC4F-F16D-4DC5-9A7A-28F73287AC26.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 178
I'd contact LMR and see what they have to say.

More than likely you are fine. The braided lines are really standard rubber lines with the braided reinforcement on the outside to prevent expansion, which should be very little. That blemish probably doesn't affect anything in reality. I bet LMR says something similar.

I'd contact LMR and see what they have to say.

More than likely you are fine. The braided lines are really standard rubber lines with the braided reinforcement on the outside to prevent expansion, which should be very little. That blemish probably doesn't affect anything in reality. I bet LMR says something similar.

Great ideas guys.

I actually skipped LMR and when straight to J&M Performance parts.

I emailed these pictures (and a few others) to them and a guy named Brian got back to me like RIGHT away. Basically the little blemish/notch or whatever it is a by-product of the manufacturing process, he said it happens time to time from the "skimming" machine before it goes to another press (or something like that). It's also in the clear coating and not in the steel braiding itself. He was extremely confident that it was nothing to worry about.

And considering how freaking great the car is stopping now, that's good to hear.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: 1 user