90 foxbody GT

90foxer

Jan 14, 2020
Usa
Hows it going everyone. New to the fox family since July last year. Been a fan for a long time though. I'm 28 years old and have a 1990 Mustang GT fox body 25 year badge. 122,000 original miles. All original parts. Still really clean. My only major issue now is I believe the rear main seal is going as I have oil on the ground after I'm done driving. Itll smoke a little while I'm driving, but not much. Other than that I keep adding a little oil here and there until I can get it fixed professionally. Although I've read some reviews on blue devil rear main seal fix? Any input on that would be great. I have some rust on all of the wheel wells, we touched them up a bit. I do some research on info on these cars all the time but there is nothing like human interaction to really learn. Just looking for outside info on these cars. I recently had a hood latch issue so I got a hood in my cart to get it replaced. I'm just pissed because this thing is all original. And I wanted to keep it that way. But gotta do what you gotta do right ? Check out my mustang and tell me what you think. Just wanting to talk to my fellow fox lovers.
20190921_162430.jpg
20190921_162445.jpg
20190921_162532.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Nice car. I say nee to the blue devil rear main leak fix. That stuff will gum up the inside of the engine. Additives like that ( in my view ) are for the bad used car sales people. The folks that buy cars from the auction and just want it to last past the sale. It's like the blue devil headgasket fix stuff. That stuff clogs heater cores and radiators over time....I can only imagine what that would do to your engine.

Welcome to the forum.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Looks clean! Has it been repainted? Im with 90sickfox. Only right way to do the rear main is to pull the trans and clutch out of the way. The labor isn't to bad, but you might need 2 people.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Hey yall yeah I havent touched the blue devil stuff yet. I have been adding oil here and there when need be. It's nothing major. But the car had sat for nearly 10 years. When we got it the paint was horrible. My dad and I spent probably 8-10 hours buffing and waxing the crap out of it to get her to shine. But it had some rust on the quarters and what not so we did a little touch up job on it to kind of blend a little bit. Cant afford a paint job so it's no big deal for now ya know. Long story short I didnt latch the hood all the way and went for a drive at night. Was doing 35 mph and BAM damn thing flies up and smashes. I was heart broken. Couldn't believe i did it. Just trying to get to gas station before it snowed and wanted to drive her one last time. Ran inside to grab my things came back out and took off. 1/2 mile down the road it happened. So I got a quote to have it fixed. But I was looking at hoods today and found a decent one. It is automatic transmission. Which is okay. Not a fan really. The rear top of the seats are faded from it being sat out for so long. But back on topic with the rear main seal. When I first got it it didnt leak at all and then slowly started getting worse. Then I read up about how they are notorious for it ? Idk it's all hear say. I feel like I have a diamond in the rough though. Its never been tore apart. All original. 1 owner. The strut towers are going to need to be replaced in the near future.

I guess the pics were before the hood flew up! That sucks for sure. I’m sure you’ll get it sorted out.
You guys did pretty good on that paint, cause it looks like it’s shining nice!

The rear of the lower intake are also known to leak . The oil drips down around the transmission bellhousing and can look like a rear main issue too. It's hard to see back there. The PCV valve is back there in the center. There's a screen under that thing.

Make sure the hose from the oil fill tube is connected to the intake and the pcv screen is clean. If the hose from the filler neck isn't hooked up or the pcv screen is clogged it will cause pressure to build in the engine and push oil out the seals.

Looks nice! Congrats! Sorry to hear about your good, suprised the secondary catch didn't prevent it from flying open.

Rear main seal, yep, common, mine needs one also. How to tell about rear of intake leak? Look at the back of the block with an inspection mirror and flashlight, it should be obvious if there is fresh oil there. Good luck

In the early 90's I had a 88 GT with t-tops. I did the same thing with the hood was working on the car ran inside to answer phone (pre cell phones) came out and jumped in for a test drive and bam, hood bent over windshield. In my case, I bought the car knowing it had been wrecked, but I didn't know the the latch was bent so that the secondary safety latch didn't catch. Prob should have keep that one, 88 GT with T-tops are pretty rare.

Last edited:
Nice looking ride. I have a 90 GT as well and aside from the interior it looks like our cars were twins (black, auto, sunroof, late 90 build). Mine came with the black interior.

Here's what I started with...
20150307_104543.jpg 20150222_101800.jpg

2.5 years of weekend work later...

20180613_100552.jpg 20180613_100609.jpg IMG_1449.JPG

For a full walk around with it running ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2douA8PXBZw

I did all paint, body and all mechanicals myself. Take your time. If you need to pull a tranny or engine to do the rear seal, maybe pull engine and do strut towers while its out. Just a thought.

Nice looking ride. I have a 90 GT as well and aside from the interior it looks like our cars were twins (black, auto, sunroof, late 90 build). Mine came with the black interior.

Here's what I started with...
20150307_104543.jpg 20150222_101800.jpg

2.5 years of weekend work later...

20180613_100552.jpg 20180613_100609.jpg IMG_1449.JPG

For a full walk around with it running ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2douA8PXBZw

I did all paint, body and all mechanicals myself. Take your time. If you need to pull a tranny or engine to do the rear seal, maybe pull engine and do strut towers while its out. Just a thought.

Great job. Whereabouts from Ontario are you from?

Whereabouts from Ontario are you from?

I am about an hour south of Ottawa, but travel to the Brantford/Cambridge area often.

turbine wheels aren't 1990,

'90 was the last year for the turbines on GT's. '91 was the first year of the Pony wheels. That's why the front fenders are different for 91-93.

Almost identical wheels. I see you have the caps that are held on with the central cap, mine have the short tapered allen head screw to the side. I came across someone else with those same caps, they couldn't get the caps to fit on right (and stay on) and wished he had the kind like mine. But the rim itself is different to accommodate the screw

. IMG_0624.JPG

I am about an hour south of Ottawa, but travel to the Brantford/Cambridge area often.

'90 was the last year for the turbines on GT's. '91 was the first year of the Pony wheels. That's why the front fenders are different for 91-93.

Almost identical wheels. I see you have the caps that are held on with the central cap, mine have the short tapered allen head screw to the side. I came across someone else with those same caps, they couldn't get the caps to fit on right (and stay on) and wished he had the kind like mine. But the rim itself is different to accommodate the screw

. IMG_0624.JPG

Wow. Ottawa. That's where I purchased my '90 over a year ago in Nepean. I live in Milton and its about a 5 1/2 hour drive or so to Nepean. Maybe we'll run into each other. There are some meets on friday and saturday nights.

. IMG_0624.JPG

I didn't realize turbines were '87-'90, 4 model years.
My center caps are attached the same as yours.
I replaced the allen head zinc plated screws with stainless steel ones. The bolt head has a slightly larger OD; 0.610 vs 0.560. Used a countersink that matched the new ones to enlarge the center cap countersink by .050. I had to buy a box of 25 & only used 4. Send me a SASE small padded envelope & I'll give you 5. PM me if you want them.

BTW, I had a problem with one of the wheels. Tire leaked about 2psi/month for 20 years. Finally found a tire store with a large tank where we detected a small bubble every few seconds. The aluminum was porous in one small section. They put JBWeld patch on inside & outside of wheel. Doesn't leak any more. Only leaked from the years of Fix-A-Flat which they didn't completly remove from the bead sealing surface. They had to remove new tire & wire air brush it off.

Last edited: