90 Lx Gears

Texas_LX

Mar 18, 2017
Fort Worth
What's up guys, this is my first post here. I bought a 90 lx a few weeks ago. Car is in killer shape and stock other than flowmasters. It's an AOD trans so I've got a couple of questions. First things I had planned were gears and some transmission work. I only drive the car a few times a week but included is my 40 minute drive to work. I was 4.10's, I had them on a 02 gt years ago and loved them. What rpm will I be looking at with the auto? Also with the install it seems that you need some specialized tools? I want to do as much as I can myself but I'm not the most experienced person. Thanks for any info/advice!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm very experienced at mechanics, gears are something I will leave to an expert. recently I rebuilt my engine, installed a new clutch kit, added all new exhaust. Gears are next and I'm leaving that to an expert. Installing them wrong is easy, installing them correctly is not easy. There is a video that lmr has on doing it. Watch it and see what you think.
Cost for just a gear install is around 800 wer I'm at. But I'm upgrading to a better posi unit too. It's 1200 for that with gears.

Watch these videos and judge for yourself if you can handle it.

ErictheCarGuy has a pretty good Fairmont build if you follow him on YouTube

I know they are long...but it's a pretty good step by step

Reactions: 1 users
Is it hard, well yeah. But after you finish you will feel like you've accomplished something much more than just swiping your card. Get a decent dial indicator and torque wrench and go for it. One tool that I had to buy was a dial torque wrench to read the bearing preload when torquing down the crush sleeve. You can also rent everything you need from the local parts store. Watch a ton of videos and ask even more questions and then save yourself hundreds of dollars for your next upgrade.