90 Mustang 5.0 AOD

• Sponsors (?)

3.73 gears
stall converter, maybe a 2400 with the stock cam.
shift kit.......i have a brand new PA performance shift kit for sale...$40.00

i could go on forever but id do those things first. i had an aod in my car and last week did the t-5 swap.....my god what a difference

but if you want a rebuilt AOD tranny..i have one it only has 3k miles on it.

$250.00

Get a 5 speed! Haha just kidding I feel your pain. My drop is an auto. Shift kit helped. Get some 3.73s or 4.10s at least. If you really wanna go fast, a built auto can make you launch like a bat out of hell, and shift faster than any stick!

A stall converter will make it into the car you want :nice: That was my first mod(and the best one so far) It made a night and day difference,even with the stock gears!! If your keeping the motor stock,get 373's,and a 2400 converter.Precision Industries makes the best converters IMO,www.converter.com ,and edge makes good ones also.But if you get a conv. you must get a tranny cooler,or your aod will burn out :notnice: Coolers are cheap.A good shift kit Trans-go.

300 is not too much stall for a stock motor. I've got an Edge converter in my car and with the stock cam, heads, intake and all pollution and a/c hooked up went into the high 13's. Fully loaded LX. RSW007 is running low 13's with his mildly modded aod.

To make your aod feel alot faster, go with some taller gears- 3.73, 3.90 or 4.10. Converter and a shift kit. and an aftermarket tranny cooler is a good idea even with the stock tranny.

B&M or equivalent slap (ratchet) shifter, FMS E-CAM with 2800 stall converter, and 1.6 roller rockers. As previously stated a tranny cooler is a must with an aftermarket converter. Also go with 4:10's... remember dont fear the gear.

Oh yea, if you havent yet gotten some sort of intake or exhaust... obviously i would do that first before messing with the trans. :nice:

I'm running mild motor and the gears are the best buy. I went 4.56's. 4.30's would have been perfect! Next, 3K stall (+cooler). I have tci streetfighter and no complaints. Finally a shift kit. I run the transgo kit but I'm not thrilled with it. Locks you into OD too much and too soon. You need to shift it out of OD to drive.

But.....

My AOD whips me into the seat. There's plenty of potential there. Stock, they suck. With those mods above....tireburner

I also had a 1990 AOD. Last spring i converted it to a Tremec 3550, 5 speed. Lost over a hundred pounds in the swap. People say a sticks faster than an auto, i think its all based on the driver. You can get a QUICK automatic though. Those hardcore draggers have quick shift autos.

1990LXDropTop said:
No it's not. I had an edge 3000rpm stall in my old 91GT. It made a world of difference. It was a custom converter set up by Andre at Edge.
How can you say that,, a 3000 stall is too big for a stock motor!!I have a 2800 stall,and it is a little loose!!!(my motor is all stock. You know when your taking off from a stop(at normal excelleration) and you have to give it a little extra gas pedal to get it going? That shouldnt happen,it means its too big.

willys1 said:
How can you say that,, a 3000 stall is too big for a stock motor!!I have a 2800 stall,and it is a little loose!!!(my motor is all stock. You know when your taking off from a stop(at normal excelleration) and you have to give it a little extra gas pedal to get it going? That shouldnt happen,it means its too big.

well you can have a loose 2800 and a tight 3000 stall. there is alot to converter other than stall speed.